Bon Appetit Broccoli Soup with Turmeric, Peanuts and Crispy Shallots (Pic Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Bon Appetit Broccoli Soup with Turmeric, Peanuts and Crispy Shallots

Did this one on Saturday. I think I nailed it except that Bon Appetit's is almost neon green. I think their photo editor went overboard on saturation, or they added something more than what the recipe calls for.

It was delicious.

01.jpg
02.jpg

Paired it with pan seared swordfish with a cherry pepper / wild mushrooms / crispy shallot salsa, and Yukon Gold slow-baked, smashed potatoes.

Broccoli soup recipe

Swordfish, pan seared on one side for 3 mins, then baked at 375 for 10 mins. Marinated the swordfish for a few hours in EVOO to keep it moist during cooking.

03.jpg

Salsa was left over from another recipe we did the night before from the magazine. (It's in print only.)

Baked Potato recipe - I highly recommend this. It was the best baked potato I ever had.

Lori added an olive oil and salt rub that the recipe didn't call for.

04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg

09.jpg

11.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Shortly after we were married, my wife got a job at a seafood shop. We were poor as church mice, but we had lobster every other week. FYI, there is a short time from when a lobster dies and when it goes bad. Thus, my wife would call me to put the big pot on the fire. Once she got home, with a dead lobster, we would cook it. Afterwards, if the tail snapped back, melt the butter! If the cooked lobster tail was limp, no good. The shop owners did not charge for the lobster, since it was unsalable, being dead.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I’m going to guess it was so much greener because they probably used a vitamix and totally creamed the base before adding the solids. Looks good tho I actually prefer the way yours looks. ?
Thanks! They totally pureed theirs, where I left mine a little more chunky. I used an immersion hand blender.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Oh, no, you're not ever going to prepare broccoli for me. That crap is next thing to projectile vomiting. I love it when people order that crap. It means more real food for me. :poop::poop:

• Haha
Reactions: dcon and BROBS

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Big difference: Kevin's soup looks real and delicious; the commercial one looks like over saturated pond scum. Well, maybe not that bad....

Nice work!
You are correct jpm, I saw the article & recipe in the magazine & turned the page without reading it.
Looked like pond scum. And you need a straw to consume.
Kevins looks good.
(For something with Brocoli that isn't covered by cheese sauce to make it taste good.)

• Haha
Reactions: admin and jpmcwjr

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
It looks fabulous, never ate swordfish, but mostly fish I caught out of the Gulf, if I can find a place that sells it fresh, might try some.
It is fantastic on the grill, butter & lemon. Firm fish that hold up well on grill.

Status
Not open for further replies.