PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
Last week a friend of mine was coming to town and he said he wanted to try smoking a pipe. I was pumped. I had a Barracini briar pipe that came as a freebie with some stuff I ordered and I’d just been holding on to it for somebody to try. I spent a few days debating what tobacco to have him try. He’s not much of a smoker. He’s smoked an occasional cigar over the years. I’ve got a pretty robust cellar with plenty of options. I worried that an aromatic might be hot or smoke wet. They’re not my favorite. I thought an English might be good since they often burn a bit cooler and come with a full flavor. I favor VAs but of course they can bite if you’re not careful. In the end I decided on C&D Sun Bear. To me that is a darker VA with a strong oriental presence and a bit of an aromatic quality.
I showed him how to load and light. He had a pretty successful first smoke.
What blends would you/have you had people try for their first smoke?

BrightDarkEyes

Can't Leave
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
I have an uncle who wanted to try pipe smoking once so I gave him a brand new MM Cob with some Vauen Auenland. I think it's a heavy tangerine aromatic. He smoked the hell out of that and said that he never enjoyed tobacco as much as he enjoyed that. Since then I've given him some Hiland's Black Gold. Nicotine isn't what he looks for. It's the flavour.

tmcg81

Lifer
May 8, 2020
NJ
The first two blends I smoked were Davidoff Royalty and Orlik Golden Sliced. Must have been a good intro because I've been smoking every day since.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I've always started folks off with codger blends like SWR, CH or PA.

The "codger blends" are a great starting place, but many of them have discontinued pouches.

I'd recommend Captain Black Original (White) - aka Lane RLP-6. Readily available. There's a reason it's apparently the number one pipe tobacco sold in the USA. No prep needed. Won't bite like many VA blends.

I agree with your original choice of Sun Bear, +1 for Six Pence and codger blends as well. Any burley w/o bite would be a great choice as he likes cigars and may find these especially satisfying as i do.

Maybe one of C&D's burley blends (1-5).

Another option would be something flavorful and easy going like Country Squire's Cowboy Coffee or King's Highway.

Last edited:

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Last week a friend of mine was coming to town and he said he wanted to try smoking a pipe. I was pumped. I had a Barracini briar pipe that came as a freebie with some stuff I ordered and I’d just been holding on to it for somebody to try. I spent a few days debating what tobacco to have him try. He’s not much of a smoker. He’s smoked an occasional cigar over the years. I’ve got a pretty robust cellar with plenty of options. I worried that an aromatic might be hot or smoke wet. They’re not my favorite. I thought an English might be good since they often burn a bit cooler and come with a full flavor. I favor VAs but of course they can bite if you’re not careful. In the end I decided on C&D Sun Bear. To me that is a darker VA with a strong oriental presence and a bit of an aromatic quality.
I showed him how to load and light. He had a pretty successful first smoke.
What blends would you/have you had people try for their first smoke?
I'd have gone with the codger (Carter Hall was mine) or a light English such as EMP or Presbyterian.
Only because those are what worked for me.

PaulDM

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2022
Maybe a Boswell aro. They aren't overly chemically, don't burn out easily, are forgiving of heavy puffing and generally smell and taste as advertised.