PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
I commissioned Chris Kelly (Eldritch Pipes) to make me a Blackthorn Acorn pipe. It’s now finished and paid for and I am eagerly awaiting it’s arrival. I figured I would post some pics of it here in case others were on the fence about getting a pipe made by him. Once I receive my pipe and smoke it some, I’ll post back my thoughts. Until then, enjoy the photos!

Attachments

• 82EC9313-52C8-471B-9D20-75B0CDEECE77.jpeg
    82EC9313-52C8-471B-9D20-75B0CDEECE77.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 64
  • B0DEF226-8914-44A8-835A-07415E09A568.jpeg
    B0DEF226-8914-44A8-835A-07415E09A568.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 64
  • F24282F6-E652-4875-B626-94E83C344E79.jpeg
    F24282F6-E652-4875-B626-94E83C344E79.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 55
  • 4A902AE7-6015-43CF-AB8A-84752C7435B3.jpeg
    4A902AE7-6015-43CF-AB8A-84752C7435B3.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 0036188D-A50B-42EE-A712-0E087A40F768.jpeg
    0036188D-A50B-42EE-A712-0E087A40F768.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 64

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
It would have been nice if you had waited a few days and took pictures after the pipe arrived.
It would have been nice if you had waited a few days and took pictures after the pipe arrived.
Well, it’s coming from Jolly Old England. And in my experiences buying stuff from England takes forever to go through their postal service. I once ordered something from England and then a few weeks later ordered something from Russia. The Russian part beat the English part to my doorstep by several days. Lol.

I just couldn’t wait that long to express my joy of finally showing it off. Lol. I’ll post some more pics later.

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
That's a great looking pipe. Love the concept in blackthorn. Now you need to go out and get a matching Shillelagh. Take them both for a walk and don't forget your flat cap.
Oh man, I want a shillelagh but they are pretty expensive for a dang stick. I just gotta make do with whatever stick I have at the farm. I do have some Brooks tennie shoes with a four leaf clover pattern on them to make up for it. Ha!

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I commissioned Chris Kelly (Eldritch Pipes) to make me a Blackthorn Acorn pipe. It’s now finished and paid for and I am eagerly awaiting it’s arrival. I figured I would post some pics of it here in case others were on the fence about getting a pipe made by him. Once I receive my pipe and smoke it some, I’ll post back my thoughts. Until then, enjoy the photos!
Have you received your pipe yet? How's it smoke?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
Have you received your pipe yet? How's it smoke?
It smokes really well. The draw is flawless. It’s extremely lightweight especially for the length. It has a very delicate feel to it. Not like you will easily break it just more of a fine quality. Exquisite would be the proper word for it. It’s my most finely made pipe.

Now that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s my favorite pipe. My handmade pipe from Chris Morgan and my handmade pipe from Tim Beaumont are tough to beat. I find that my Morgan pipe is what I use when I am active around the farm. It is my workhorse and I smoke in it whatever I feel like that day. My Beaumont pipe is great for when I am writing, either on the computer or typewriter. I usually smoke VaPers in it. The Eldritch pipe seems to be great for sitting in a chair with armrests, watching TV or just relaxing and paired with a good English/English Oriental.

I hope that answers your question. If someone is on the fence about getting one, I would suggest they don’t hesitate. I think Eldritch pipes have a niche of their own and will one day increase in value.

• Love
Reactions: lifesizehobbit

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
I thought I would write a bit of a follow up review on this pipe. The more I smoke it, the more I love it. The draw is, again, flawless but the stem is what really shines. It just feels so good. It kinda flares at the button and it is just a great feeling stem. With good tobacco and proper packing, it’s about a three match smoke. It takes one or two to get going and then (as long as you don’t sit it down for a bit) you no longer have to light it until it’s down to pretty much just dottle. I find one or maybe two more lights is all you can get out of it. With that smaller bowl though it can get a bit hotter towards the end than I am used to but that’s on me. I need to slow my cadence down just a touch for this particular pipe and perhaps not chase that last bit of tobacco also. I do tend to grip the pipe a lot differently than my other pipes. The long pencil shank lends itsself to be gripped there rather than by the bowl like I do on all my other pipes.

What would I change? Hmm. A bigger bowl would be nice and, in that case, a shorter shank so it’s not too counterbalanced but that’s just my preferences. And in reality, that would make it a totally different pipe. It’s really perfect the way it is. If you are on the fence about getting a Chris Kelly pipe, I would encourage you to do so.

Reactions: ThermionicScott