PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

itsnotuitsme

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2023
Germany
My Father gave me his 4 old pipes. He hasn't used them for maybe 30 or so years.

They all had a good amount of cake, which i first scraped out, and then i gave them all multiple treatments with the Alcohol and Salt method. When i stopped the treatments, the Salt was as good as clear, which led me to think, there wasn't any more stuff to be extracted with this method.

However, there still was a small amount of cake in about the bottom third of the bowl. It really isn't that much, just enough to be a bit rough when feeling with a finger. I don't want to scrape it vigorously though, because im afraid of hurting the actual briar.

The problem is, they all add a relatively bitter taste when smoked, except for the one which has a meerschaum inlay (but that one i could clean relatively completely, so it's no wonder). One Pipe i tried smoking multiple times, maybe 10 or so, which hasn't made the taste any better. Im hesitant to just power through it, as it's really no pleasure smoking that way, also i'm always at the brink of tongue burn, which is usually never a problem for me otherwise. If i knew this was the right approach, i would probably do it anyway. (As a side note, i have a pipe where i used pipe mud, when scraping out the cake i could taste the ashy pipe mud taste for a few bowls again but it went away quickly, so i was hoping for something similar here)

Is the problem the cake? could it be something in the wood itself? Is this just a very nasty ghost, or is this normal for pipes which sat with their cake unused for a few decades? How do i handle this, is the only way to remove the cake completely? If so, is there any good way besides vigorously scraping it down to the bare wood?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My Father gave me his 4 old pipes. He hasn't used them for maybe 30 or so years.

They all had a good amount of cake, which i first scraped out, and then i gave them all multiple treatments with the Alcohol and Salt method. When i stopped the treatments, the Salt was as good as clear, which led me to think, there wasn't any more stuff to be extracted with this method.

However, there still was a small amount of cake in about the bottom third of the bowl. It really isn't that much, just enough to be a bit rough when feeling with a finger. I don't want to scrape it vigorously though, because im afraid of hurting the actual briar.

The problem is, they all add a relatively bitter taste when smoked, except for the one which has a meerschaum inlay (but that one i could clean relatively completely, so it's no wonder). One Pipe i tried smoking multiple times, maybe 10 or so, which hasn't made the taste any better. Im hesitant to just power through it, as it's really no pleasure smoking that way, also i'm always at the brink of tongue burn, which is usually never a problem for me otherwise. If i knew this was the right approach, i would probably do it anyway. (As a side note, i have a pipe where i used pipe mud, when scraping out the cake i could taste the ashy pipe mud taste for a few bowls again but it went away quickly, so i was hoping for something similar here)

Is the problem the cake? could it be something in the wood itself? Is this just a very nasty ghost, or is this normal for pipes which sat with their cake unused for a few decades? How do i handle this, is the only way to remove the cake completely? If so, is there any good way besides vigorously scraping it down to the bare wood?
Patience and a fine grit sandpaper will work wonders for the cake vs. aggressive but . . . . . . patience.

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
Get a bottle of cheap but strong mouthwash. Soak some pipe cleaners in it and leave then inserted in the ebonite stems. Then use dry pipe cleaners. Repeat. Then repeat again. Use a metal brush in the stems if needed. Most foul taste from old pipes comes as much from the dirty stem and shank as from the bowl.

There are also professIonal stem cleaning solutions like Pipemaster Clean & Cure and EA Carey’s Professional Pipe Cleaner solution.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

itsnotuitsme

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2023
Germany
thanks for all the input!

i tried scraping out the bowls more - and i must say, a surprising amount of carbon was still in there.

mortises were pretty clean already, cleaned them again regardless with q-tips and alcohol.

also i tried pipecleaners with a little alcohol on one side through the stems - didn't really seem to take on much gunk visually, but who knows...

i tried one pipe already, and it smoked a lot better for the first two bowls - so thats a success already.

im unsure if i should give them all the alcohol and salt again, now that a different layer of the bowl is exposed - i guess i'll make it dependent on how they'll taste individually.

itsnotuitsme

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2023
Germany
final report: the pipes are all pretty ok now - i guess the problem really was the rest of the cakes.

biggest lesson i learned from this, briar can take quite a bit more beating (or scraping in this case...) than i had imagined.

thanks again for all the help :)