PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DeaconPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 13, 2023
Pacific Northwest
Gentlemen, what tobacco related treats do you want for your next birthday?

Me, I turn 44 years old Friday, Oct. 27th. I'll be grabbing my first Peterson, a rusticated Pub pipe and have myself a bowl of Ten Russians.

In the meantime, I also received my first (ever) batch of nasal snuff. What a treat!

Now, for your birthdays.

What's on your wishlist?

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
McClelland oriental 14 is what I would like to get as its my favorite oriental blend and I wish i had stocked up on it when it was available but alas it was not to be I wanted to crack a tin of 40th anniversy for my 40th birthday but agian that was not to be, I did get a tin of #14 from secret santa and that was a wonderful christmas/birthday present as my birthday is the 23rd of december,

Im probaly going to pull the trigger on this tsuge for my birthday if its still in stock by then https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/tsuge/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=537516

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm guessing here but, I'm sure there are more than a few like me who let birthdays slide by. I'm at the age where, if I see something I like, I'll simply buy it. I will allow my younger brother to take me out for a fine steak, good wine and great conversation though. Birthdays simply mean another year completed with little or no effort on my part.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For my most recent birthday my sister sent me a tin of Peterson EMS, which is perfect for my new interest in Virginia blends, though I am first a burley devotee.

My wife and I are usually relaxed about birthdays, go to our favorite burger joint, and string out the gifts over about a week, before and after the actual day. It's more relaxed and natural feeling. And neither of us needs more stuff.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I'm guessing here but, I'm sure there are more than a few like me who let birthdays slide by. I'm at the age where, if I see something I like, I'll simply buy it. I will allow my younger brother to take me out for a fine steak, good wine and great conversation though. Birthdays simply mean another year completed with little or no effort on my part.
No guessing needed. All I want for my birthday is for it to go unnoticed. My sweet wife has to do something for it so it’s dinner or a gift.

I think it’s strange that grown men want to tell other grown men it’s their birthday.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
I doubt there’s any tobacco I’ll pick up for my birthday, since I tend to buy year round, but I was planning on buying my first meerschaum! Emphasis on planning, because as soon as I mentioned it to my girlfriend, her eyes lit up in a very Kringle-y fashion and I pretended not to notice her suddenly asking me many questions about patterns and makers. Love that woman.
This year was simple.
I’d seen the ads for Sun Bear Tupelo.
I’d never had real Tupelo Honey, so I mentioned it to my wife.
She cooked me a damned good steak dinner.
I ordered my own batch of Tupelo Honey. Really good on biscuits!!
I went and bought some Tupelo honey after loving sun bear blend this year - it’s quite good! I’m a fiend for a good honey, I scour the local farmers markets all summer long looking for new types to try (among other things - I leak money like a sieve at a farmers market). Really good stuff, eh?

No guessing needed. All I want for my birthday is for it to go unnoticed. My sweet wife has to do something for it so it’s dinner or a gift.

I think it’s strange that grown men want to tell other grown men it’s their birthday.
What’s wrong with celebrating surviving another year? It’s my contention that life is far too short to harrumph simple joys. More power to you if you don’t want to celebrate of course, but I don’t think it’s a mystery for the ages why folks celebrate life and their continued privilege to experience it

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I love birthdays and celebrate mine with unabashed gusto - usually spread out over a couple of weeks/weekends

I take the day off, have a sleep-in, wake up to a leisurely breakfast, then out for lunch with my wife.
If the weather is fine, we’d go for a walk to work off the lunch. This year it wasn’t, so we just had a lazy afternoon at home.

We have the family over for a lunch on the weekend closest to the day

I usually plan a dinner or lunch with a few close mates. This year it’s an anchovy tasting with a couple of rare sherries.
And a couple of other interesting bottles.

My wife refuses to contribute to my indulgences. So no tobacco, pipes, cigars, wine or spirits from her.

I already have a sufficiency of excesses. 😏
So no self-gifting of pipes, tobacco or wine this year.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
What’s wrong with celebrating surviving another year? It’s my contention that life is far too short to harrumph simple joys. More power to you if you don’t want to celebrate of course, but I don’t think it’s a mystery for the ages why folks celebrate life and their continued privilege to experience it
There is absolutely nothing wrong with celebrating life. I celebrate life. I live life fully. I grab life by the ass and squeeze. I just don’t want to celebrate birthdays for grown men.

MidTNPiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2023
Nashville, TN
Echoing earlier sentiments, need: nothing.

However for my birthday earlier this year, decided I like Stratford a lot and ordered a tin each of Fillmore and Tellagraph Hill for comparison. The TH came in and the sticker on the bottom had my birth date on it. Cool, Ill save that one for a special occasion. Ordered a second one, same deal. Guess Im sentimental: I plan to save them for trip around the sun #40 and #50. God willing.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I usually buy a pipe for my birthday and for Christmas. Tobacco I get throughout the year when either I need it or it's available when it otherwise wouldn't be.

Since I've started doing this for Christmas I've so far bought myself a silver spigot Peterson 107 Ebony, then a Red and this year will hopefully be a Green if SmokingPipes gets one in stock around then. Next years finances will dictate whether I splurge for one of their fancier stains or go for a Newgrange. These are some of my favorite pipes.

This past years birthday (March) was a Vauen Auenland Eron. I like it a lot but I don't smoke it a lot. I'm lucky in that my birthday is a few weeks after IPSD. So inbetween that and the Black Friday sales I convince myself I'm actually saving money!