PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ducreapa193

Lurker
Mar 24, 2024
I don't know how I got here but I find myself captivated by the form of large bent swan-necked billiards. I consider the Dunhill 120, Sasieni's Viscount Lascelles, and the Parker and Savory (patent)189 my grail pipes. I have a pretty robust collection of pipes but I haven't been able to pull the trigger on any of those big beautiful bent billiards.

I have probably read everything about the Dunhill 120 and the Viscount on this thread but I have never really gotten any information on how they smoke. I would hate to throw so much cash at a bad smoker. Are they anyone's favorite pipes or are they just a trophy to bring out on special occasions and enjoy the horrific gurgling and impracticality of the pipe as a smoker? Perhaps this is what gives me pause... Does anyone have thoughts about the practicality and capability of these pipes, specifically the Sasieni and Dunhill?

Big bonus points if anyone has any suggestions of other similar, maybe slightly more cost-effective pipes that would scratch that itch until I decide to pony up for a Dunhill or Sasieni. Should they stay my online eye candy or should I make the leap and break out the Captain Black Grape I have been saving for that sacred moment?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Does anyone have thoughts about the practicality and capability of these pipes, specifically the Sasieni and Dunhill?

I have a 7-day set of 120's that range from 1924 to the 1970's, and covers all the finishes that were available during that time.

Also have a Sasieni VL from the early 1930's.

Wonderful pipes one and all. Recommended.

My favorite of the bunch is the Sasieni, though. 😍 Fantastic workmanship and execution, and the smoothest smoker.

Something I always found both weird and fascinating is the variability of the Dunhills' shank/bowl angle over their production years. No two quite the same. (go figure)

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Connecticut, USA
Check or sponsor SmokingPipes.com or Smoking pipes.Eu ---- Search "Swan Neck" in search bar. Briarworks C13 is a reasonably priced Swan Neck as is the Peterson POTY 2023, and Rathbone. Occasionally the French makers Genod and chacom will have one as well. Dunhill still makes a swan neck but it is a bit more pricey.

Ducreapa193

Lurker
Mar 24, 2024
I have a 7-day set of 120's that range from 1924 to the 1970's, and covers all the finishes that were available during that time.

Also have a Sasieni VL from the early 1930's.

Wonderful pipes one and all. Recommended.

My favorite of the bunch is the Sasieni, though. 😍 Fantastic workmanship and execution, and the smoothest smoker.

Something I always found both weird and fascinating is the variability of the Dunhills' shank/bowl angle over their production years. No two quite the same. (go figure)
I would kill to see those and thank you! That's proof right there... no one would collect a 7-day set of a pipe that didn't smoke well! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a 120 that doesn't have paper thin walls or contains 50% pipe mortar.

As a point of curiosity...I do have a line on several Sasieni Old England pipes, shape 56 or the VL. Any experience with those seconds?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I would kill to see those and thank you!

Here are five of the 120's, and the Sasieni (couldn't find the links to the other two)

• Love
Reactions: guylesss

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Connecticut, USA
I too wanted to try the swan neck shape without breaking the bank. This is my Vauen Olaf #4873 bent egg which is on the larger size of a regular size pipe with a 20mmx46mm chamber. Its my most comfortable pipe and very light weight. Its in regular if not daily rotation. Runs about $120 or less on sale. The Nana version of this shape is often on SPC or SPE at reduced prices.

1726060545571.jpeg

bayareabriar

Lifer
May 8, 2019
I don't know how I got here but I find myself captivated by the form of large bent swan-necked billiards. I consider the Dunhill 120, Sasieni's Viscount Lascelles, and the Parker and Savory (patent)189 my grail pipes. I have a pretty robust collection of pipes but I haven't been able to pull the trigger on any of those big beautiful bent billiards.

I have probably read everything about the Dunhill 120 and the Viscount on this thread but I have never really gotten any information on how they smoke. I would hate to throw so much cash at a bad smoker. Are they anyone's favorite pipes or are they just a trophy to bring out on special occasions and enjoy the horrific gurgling and impracticality of the pipe as a smoker? Perhaps this is what gives me pause... Does anyone have thoughts about the practicality and capability of these pipes, specifically the Sasieni and Dunhill?

Big bonus points if anyone has any suggestions of other similar, maybe slightly more cost-effective pipes that would scratch that itch until I decide to pony up for a Dunhill or Sasieni. Should they stay my online eye candy or should I make the leap and break out the Captain Black Grape I have been saving for that sacred moment?
Sasieni over the Dunhill, unless you’re getting into the magnum size ones (maybe that’s what you’re referring to?) which I’ve never smoked. What is your budget? I can keep an eye out for you.

Reactions: kcghost

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I can only comment on the Viscount Lascelles. Mine came to me as an estate but had clearly never been smoked. Unfortunately, the button cracked almost immediately, and I had to have a proper new stem made.

It's a good smoker and does not have a gurgling problem like some full bents. Mine is not broken in yet as its large bowl means I only smoke it occasionally.

Reactions: bayareabriar

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Being somewhat frugal you'll aren't in the market for any of Michael Parks' work.

R.eef307c9d7829e828ec8b6383c491599

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
This pipe does my head in too. Faceted bowl and shank with swan neck and contrast stain, can’t even begin to grasp how difficult this is to achieve.
View attachment 335591
The Martelo "LC' style" shapes are beautifully done with great care and planning. Since I believe he's not using a curved drilling tool to drill the draft hole, he's got to be very skilled, very precise. Todd Bannard has made some great pipes which capture the style as well. I get the impression from Bannard's writings that achieving a well done pipe of this type is quite a challenge.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
Many people call swan neck to simple bent pipes. The concept is clear on old dunnies LC , some old GBD , Martello, Parks , Amorelli Paris, some old french briars , etc. But so many simple bents are called like that that the concept is loosing its sense.