PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Thanks DAR for your substantive post and for giving examples of what you have found to be reasonable cigars.

But an addict always thinks in terms of "more," and thus $8+ cigars satisfied me while $5s didn't. In "more" an addict smokes everyday while reason would say that pricy cigars could only be consumed once or twice a week.

A guy on a cigar forum was consumed by Behikes which he would smoke only once a month. Never occurred to me, though I had the pipe to fall back on. As an addict I was crazy about cigars.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Yes I can definitely recommend some good cigars, but they would be subjective to my tastes (which do not tend towards the expensive) and may not be what you're looking for. I probably smoke at least 1 cigar a day and I do have some expensive cigars in my humidor, but I have everyday cigars and I have Sunday cigars, or maybe special occasion cigars which I do not smoke everyday. My everyday cigars tend to be house blends, or knock-off's, or over-runs and if that's what you're looking for then I would recommend the Argyle brand at Holt's or one of the CI Knock-off's at Cigar's International.
In my opinion the 420 series at Cuban Crafter's is hard to beat and most likely the best deal for the money, they are very good for the price, however they are very popular too, so you have to be Johnny-on-the-spot to get those (I prefer the Toro's, Robusto's or the Lonsdales).
Good luck with whatever you choose!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
G'day friends, I need advice for a quality cigar at a reasonable price. I'm generally a pipe smoker but every so often enjoy a cigar. Can't do both full time due to cost (I'm in Australia). Any advice would be most welcome.
Have a great day!

Mike
Hard to beat a Padron 2000 or 3000 for value. Brickhouse is another good value. Also Oliva but IMHO, just slightly less good than the first two I mentioned but by no means a dog rocket.

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
Looked at some of the prices, and I don't think I could afford to smoke in Australia!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
G'day friends, I need advice for a quality cigar at a reasonable price. I'm generally a pipe smoker but every so often enjoy a cigar. Can't do both full time due to cost (I'm in Australia). Any advice would be most welcome.
Have a great day!

Mike
Just saw this. Por Larrañaga Montecarlos and Hoyo de Monterrey Palmas Extras would fit the bill. I would agree with the above assessment that the budget Havanas are generally not very good, to include the various petit corona-esque Partagas and Romeo y Julieta offerings (to confuse matters, the RyJ Petit Coronas are very good when aged, but I have not enjoyed the Romeo nos 1,2, and 3, Sport Largos, Mille Fleurs, etc).

For non Cubans, Fuente doesn't really make a bad cigar.

Last edited:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In my opinion you can either smoke reasonably-priced, mediocre cigars for $5 or below or you can smoke less but smoke up, spending $10 a cigar. You're going to ask what about those in the middle, and I'm not going to say that there are no good cigars there to be had but just that the magic happened for me at the upper end.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Just saw this. Por Larrañaga Montecarlos and Hoyo de Monterrey Palmas Extras would fit the bill. I would agree with the above assessment that the budget Havanas are generally not very good, to include the various petit corona-esque Partagas and Romeo y Julieta offerings (to confuse matters, the RyJ Petit Coronas are very good when aged, but I have not enjoyed the Romeo nos 1,2, and 3, Sport Largos, Mille Fleurs, etc).

For non Cubans, Fuente doesn't really make a bad cigar.
I read about their commitment to quality and came away with the same opinion.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Used to enjoy Don Diegos, Baccarat and Punch. Reasonably priced and also look to cigars made in the Canary Islands for value or JR brand copies of popular brands ( if they still make em). Been many years since I kept Cigars.

I like Ashton Cabinets for a creamy treat. But you’ll find me happily drawing on a Rigiletto Black Jack from a drug store too. Many fond memories of the old Black Arrows. Taste is subjective.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Have a great day!

Mike
Hi Mike, I live in Perth myself and I can say that it is hard to find reasonably priced cigars.

Cigars tend to start at around AUD $25-30 and go all the way up to AUD $80-100.

I'm on the mailing list for Devlin's in Subiaco and I think the best value for money is typically a box of 10 of My Father or Oliva cigars for about AUD $400. This is typically at a 10-15% discount from buying single sticks.

I only buy cigars to smoke on special occasions and as a treat from time to time. Compared to going out drinking for a night, it is still cheaper to smoke a nice cigar. That's how I justify it anyway.

As you say, I'm also thinking about living in Cuba or even the US for a few years, just to enjoy great affordable cigars for a while.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I buy the 10 Pack Steals from Atlantic Cigar, can get some great sticks for around 3$ a piece, anything from Oliva is fantastic and reasonably priced.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
As for reasonably priced sticks that I think would be difficult to dislike by anyone, my suggestions are the Camacho Ecuador, CAO Pilone, Vega Fina (blue label) and the Balmoral line.

Status
Not open for further replies.