PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeMarc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2017
South East
Wanting to get into some shag cut blends. Whats everyone's favorites? So far only one on my list is G.L Pease Penny Farthing.

PipeMarc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2017
South East
Also, I'm sure I will find this out through trial and error, but what are your go to pipe shapes for shag cuts as well?

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Several of the GH&co. shags—Kendal dark, dark birdseye, Kendal Kentucky—are now all the same tobacco sold under these different names. This tobacco tastes of hardwood smoke—“campfire-y” in my opinion.

An option that hasn’t been mentioned above are the RYO tobaccos sold as pipe tobacco. The ones I’ve tried are shags. They get dissed a lot but the ones I’ve tried are ok. They have just been blended and topped so that the flavors resemble those of the various types of commercial cigarettes.

damacene

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
I smoke about 4-5 RYO's of Peter Stokkebye Turkish Export a day. To my knowledge its just the Stokkebye pipe blends cut into a shag rather than a ribbon. I've packed my pipe with it and it works perfectly. Turkish Export is a blend of Samsun and Virginias and its one of the tastiest tobaccos I've ever smoked, pipe or cigarette.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
There are Lots of various Tabacs de Semois blends in Belgium as well as many dark shag cut blends in France , to mention only a few, Caporal Export,Scaferlati Rouge,and Amsterdamer
I'm always trying to get those Caporal's hoping they taste like the OG Gauloises and Gigantes never got a confirmation if they have that black leaf that the ciggs had before the nicotine tar level laws castrated them.

Reactions: PipeMarc

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Several of the GH&co. shags—Kendal dark, dark birdseye, Kendal Kentucky—are now all the same tobacco sold under these different names. This tobacco tastes of hardwood smoke—“campfire-y” in my opinion.

An option that hasn’t been mentioned above are the RYO tobaccos sold as pipe tobacco. The ones I’ve tried are shags. They get dissed a lot but the ones I’ve tried are ok. They have just been blended and topped so that the flavors resemble those of the various types of commercial cigarettes.
Wondering which one the GH all became the same of? I still have jars of all three that are distinctly different.

Reactions: FLDRD and PipeMarc
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I'm always trying to get those Caporal's hoping they taste like the OG Gauloises and Gigantes never got a confirmation if they have that black leaf that the ciggs had before the nicotine tar level laws castrated them.
Yup, Caporal Export is very close to those even somewhat stronger, while Scaferlati Rouge is a true nicotine hammer , unlike Tabac de Semois both them do have some bitterness to the taste

BCF

Lifer
Dec 23, 2022
Pennsylvania
GH Kendal #7 is one I like. Like others have said, Five Brothers is a good one too. I smoke them in whichever pipe's handy. 😀