PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I just love Bill Robert's reviews. My favorite lines in this one were: "An afternoon found me puffing idly in a field of grass, killing time without injuring eternity..." "...bowl after bowl found a varying cadence that also drew out the familiar raisin / plum / date / prune notes, drying hay, toasted bread, brewer’s yeast...". It's also pretty cool to see a 75-year old tin of Escudo. Check out this great review right here.

Davidoff Flake Medallions Review

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've heard it mentioned that it's tinned Luxury Bullseye Flake. Considering both are Orlik, it makes you wonder.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've heard it mentioned that it's tinned Luxury Bullseye Flake. Considering both are Orlik, it makes you wonder.
people always want that secret deal. Though companies have done far shadier things as far as branding goes. The thing that makes me skeptical though is that while I've heard great things about both, the Davidoff gets more reports of it being unique among coins. Now what wouldn't surprise me is if they're closely related. If one is 91% this leaf and the other is 89% of the same leaf then it wouldn't be the same blend but practically. But the take away is I need to buy a lb or 10 of Luxury Bullseye Flake.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
people always want that secret deal. Though companies have done far shadier things as far as branding goes. The thing that makes me skeptical though is that while I've heard great things about both, the Davidoff gets more reports of it being unique among coins. Now what wouldn't surprise me is if they're closely related. If one is 91% this leaf and the other is 89% of the same leaf then it wouldn't be the same blend but practically. But the take away is I need to buy a lb or 10 of Luxury Bullseye Flake.
Remember all of the arguments that Creme Brulee isn't Molto Dolce? rotf Being in a sealed environment changes the flavor profile versus a bulk bag but it's the same blend.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Remember all of the arguments that Creme Brulee isn't Molto Dolce? rotf Being in a sealed environment changes the flavor profile versus a bulk bag but it's the same blend.
well i'll have to see for myself, but if it is close enough for non idiots to say it is the same then i could smoke it exclusively for a while. :).
oh i don't remember the moltodextrin burnt cream debate. never paid attention to either of those. i will try0then eventually but my impression is they sound nakedly the same and like zero surprises on the flavor department. like it will be the thing you expected when you bought it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chasing Embers

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Thanks for the praise, Kevin, but I have to fess up to lifting that line from Thoreau; it is one that always springs to mind when asked "what's so special about pipe smoking, anyway?"
Re: is this the same blend as that??-- They are different recipes, however slight that difference may be. The answer here is clearly follow your heart, and don't sweat the small stuff :)
I also forgot to include in the review that I found a nice crisp Pinot Grigio to be my favorite accompaniment for this blend. Having run rather quickly through the first bottle, I went out and got some more and mixed up a gorgeous white sangria utilizing peaches, lychee, white grapes, and some quasi-simple syrup I made from simmering down a handful of the figs, raisins, and dates I'd purchased for the sampling. It was heavenly refreshment for these warm summer evenings, highly recommended.

Aug 20, 2022
I like the look of these coins, but they've never made it into my cellar because they are too light in nicotine.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I just love Bill Robert's reviews. My favorite lines in this one were: "An afternoon found me puffing idly in a field of grass, killing time without injuring eternity..." "...bowl after bowl found a varying cadence that also drew out the familiar raisin / plum / date / prune notes, drying hay, toasted bread, brewer’s yeast...". It's also pretty cool to see a 75-year old tin of Escudo. Check out this great review right here.

Davidoff Flake Medallions Review

That review is so creative that I want to try the Davidoff stuff, even though it doesn’t sound up my alley 🙂 Thanks for sharing it!

Reactions: Puff nstuff