PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
No. 1: Huntsville, Alabama. Talk about a bulletproof economy. This northern Alabama city represents critical mass for the nation's missile-defense and aerospace industries. The medical and life-sciences industries are thriving, too. Thousands of new jobs are pouring into town. With a few exceptions, business in Huntsville is so healthy that Mayor Tommy Battle has a pleasant problem: "We have more jobs than we can fill."

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My family and I lived in Huntsville a few years ago. It is truly a wonderful town, low crime rate, intelligent citizenry, and clean... in the extreme.
However, it was hell for my children. This being the primary reason we left.

The populous' education is one of the highest in the world. Silicon Valley is a distant second to Huntsville/Madison. They even have Mathematics, Phycology, Chemistry, and History PHD's teaching early elementary school. They tend to be the spouses of those who work for NASA, Zeit Intergraph, etc. When "we" lived there my children were in the 4th and 2nd grade respectively. My oldest had 5 to 7 (sometimes more) hours of homework everyday including weekends. My youngest had no less than 4 hours everyday. (Can you imagine...4 hours homework for second grader?) While I believe in a good education, this standing condition did not permit my children to be just that .... children. They were under greater stress and pressure than I was. Unconscionable.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
After 37 years chasing sunrises and sunsets, the best place for me is right here in South Mills N.C.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
No, not at all Phil.

They treated the kids like college students, with a syllabus and in-class exposure to the material. The homework was practice. It was a lot of work, not only for them but for the wife and myself as well.

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
I, for one, hate the cold and hate the Midwest. Sorry if I have offended any fellow Mid-westerners. As soon as I can get out of here. I'm gone!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I love where my family and I live .http://www.relocateamerica.com/texas/cities/the-woodlands top 100 hundred every year and great schools .

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Ashland Oregon now that is a nice place . They are known for Harry and David pears the ones that come at Xmas time that are so good .Now if you are rich Morro Bay Ca perfect weather year round .Jack lalanne lives there and he is better shape than most men one sixth of his age . Prescott AZ witness protection capital of the world , with a nice VA hosptal nad mild winters . Now I love snow but dont want to live in it .

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Other people can keep their dreams of California and threats of moving to Canada though I'm sure there's hordes of great people in both places.
I dream about Missouri and I don't much care which town as long as it's not St. Louis or Kansas City. Any state that has a provision in it's constitution that says a citizen cannot be charged and prosecuted for public intoxication, has the 2nd lowest tobaccos taxes in the country, and allows citizens to distill 100 gallons of hard liquor per year sounds like a place for me. I've read some things here and there that have tarnished the illusion some, but if I had a good job waiting and a place to go, I'd pull up stakes tomorrow.

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
porshcigar, My mother, brother and 2 of my sisters live in Naperville. Very Nice town. Just the damn cold in the midwest, I have grown to dislike.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
My whole family is from Addison guys, I lived in Champaign/Urbana for about a year and came back to Tennessee. Guess I'll live and die in dixie.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings,
Arizona for me. Phoenix area in particular. I lived in Fountain Hills, just east of Scottsdale, for 12 years. Nearly five years ago, I made the move to the Denver area, for a change of scenery and seasons. Seemed like a good idea at the time, as the real estate market in AZ was peaking. But in hindsight, I'd move back to AZ in a heartbeat. 115 degree summers and all. Remember, the heat keeps the riff-raff out.
I'm sitting here, right now, looking at 4-5 inches of snow on the ground, temps in the 30's, and more snow on the way tonight. And it's almost May. At this moment, Phoenix is sunny and in the mid 70's-low 80's. Sigh.
You don't shovel sunshine. I'd rather sweat than shiver. It's a dry heat, etc.
CACooper

Cooper Pipes

PipeandPouch.com

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I love AZ too Coop.

I spent 30 days in Yuma at the Marine Corps Air Station.

It was 113 every day but one, and that was 114 and experienced one of those dust storms without wind. It was strange, seemed like the middle of the night at lunch time.

Only place I have ever been that people drove their cars with oven mitts on.

That was back in July of 1980.

My Dad's side of the family is from Flagstaff, Snowflake and Sedona. Been there many times.

My wife had never been to California so when we were in Phoenix last.

So I drove her to Needles, CA. She wanted a picture of the "Entering California" sign.

She missed it. So, I turned around and again two more times. I told her she can now say that she has been to California three times. :)

On that same drive, on the drive back to Phoenix, I stopped out in the middle of nowhere and showed her what the stars are suppose to really look like... awesome.
DAMN! Weather radio just went off. Severe T-Storm Warning, Quarter size hail, high winds and heavy rain, moving at 60 miles per hours heading NE (towards us), and we are currently under a Tornado watch. That storm will be in here in about 45 minutes. Should be fun! I love Alabama......
[Edit] 20 minutes later.... We can hear it already. It's going to be a loo-loo.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Actually the best lace for me to live is FAR from my former inlaws. WAY up North here is far enough from East central Ohio to be about right.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I was born in Salinas CA, grew up in Phoenix, spent seven years in N.E. Colorado, lived in Saint Charles, IL (not far from Naperville), spent 4 years just down the road from Cooper in Scottsdale, AZ and we currently live about 20 miles west of Cleveland, OH. Right here for now is just fine with me while my kids finish school. Somewhere south maybe in the Carolinas wouldn’t be too bad someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.