PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Try it with Pierre Ferrand 1840 if you get the chance. Fun fact: before the Civil War, I understand most brown cocktails were mixed with French cognac. It was not until the blockade cut off supply of this precious liquid that southern mixologists started turning to barrel-aged, locally produced corn licker
I was under the impression that the cocktail was an early 20th century innovation.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I was under the impression that the cocktail was an early 20th century innovation.
According to the mighty Google, the word "cocktail" is from 1806. I know they were little more than sugary water and bitters (and spirits) in the beginning, a far cry from the Appletinis and Mai Tais made popular in the 20th century. They definitely became widespread during Prohibition (to cover up for a lack of quality) and there was an evolution in variety after World War 2.

wayoutwest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2016
KY
The answer to the OP is: rye. If you want to use bourbon, ideally use a high rye bourbon like Bulleit, Four Roses, or Buffalo trace. But a straight rye whiskey will provide the best base spirit for the sugar and bitters to accentuate. Bourbon is a very sweet spirit, leading to an over sweet cocktail. Your mileage may vary, but rye balances out the simple syrup and for whatever reason, angostura bitters plays with straight rye better than bourbon. I've done numerous flights with coworkers (work in the spirits industry, used to work at a Kentucky Bourbon Distillery) and rye always, always comes out on top.

suggested ryes: Rittenhouse, Bulleit Rye, George Dickel Rye.

That's what I get for relying upon Downton Abbey as a source of historical information. puffy

The old fashioned is named so because it was an "old fashioned cocktail" just bitters, sugar, and spirit. When consumerism and international trade really took off in the 1880-1890s, suddenly bartenders had more than whatever local spirit was available to make drinks with and began adding "cordials" from Great Britain, amaros from Italy, and fortified wines from France and Spain. Some people didn't like the new, inventive cocktails and began calling for an "old fashioned cocktail."

Reactions: pantsBoots

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
I like Jim Beam Double Oak for when it’s just me and I’m not tying to impress anyone, it’s an unpretentious American classic. Tin Cup is another decent inexpensive whisky, thought it’s an “American whisky” and not a bourbon.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Any Vets out there ever try any of the Military Special liquors? You’d have to get it at the PX or Class Six. Bottom of the bottom of the barrel stuff. The whisky of choice for every lonely divorced E9 over the Christmas block leave.
8C67E857-5C6F-4A2C-AFDF-BE5452058CD1.jpeg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Any Vets out there ever try any of the Military Special liquors? You’d have to get it at the PX or Class Six. Bottom of the bottom of the barrel stuff. The whisky of choice for every lonely divorced E9 over the Christmas block leave.
View attachment 56056
I saw this at the MCX at Camp Pendleton and asked my then Marine, now Air Force Reservist son-in-law about it. He said it was horrible stuff.

Reactions: SoddenJack
Status
Not open for further replies.