PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Hi All, recently picked up a horn shaped Stanwell. Seems to smoke great, but I've been having trouble passing a pipe cleaner. When I remove the stem, I see this little notch
20171001_211507_zpshcdsqivu.jpg

I thought it might be drilled the same way as in the below diagram, but isn't the point of that design to facilitate passing a cleaner?
Bent-Drilling-Graphic-2_zpsowe57lil.jpg

Appreciate any help.

-Dave

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Your pictures are being held ransom by Photobucket. For us to see them, you need to post from another 3rd party site, like imgur, or from the pipesmagazine site. There's a "how to" for posting images in the section of stickies above the main forum thread window.
Cleaners don't always easily pass in bents, so it's not really a reliable standard for making a judgement. With some of mine, I given the cleaner a little bit of curve before inserting in order to make for an easier passage through the airway.

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Ah, very sorry about that. Photobucket used to work I thought. Anyway, here's the pic of the pipe
20171001_211507-600x337.jpg

and here's the diagram that I thought it might be based off of
bent-drilling-graphic-2-600x300.jpg

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
The other concern I have is since I've been trying to get the pipe cleaner to pass, it looks like I've chipped away just a little at the wood just below the draught hole (you can see in the lighter portion inside the mortise). I'm hoping I haven't done any damage here?
20171002_203247-600x337.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The notch is an artifact of double drilling, or so it seems. It will help if you put a slight bend in the tip of the pipe cleaner, and rotate it as you probe for the draught hole.

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Yeah, I've tried bending the pipe cleaner and twisting at the end--no luck. Just tends to end up with me pressing up and scratching the wood under the draught hole. Thanks though.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I think the point of the design is to get the draught hole drilled without going through somewhere other than the bottom of the bowl. Unless your pipe is plugged, it seems you have to 'hit the hole' at the bottom of the mortise. Maybe try the drill bit from a Senior reamer or a piece of wire to find exactly where the hole goes. Seems odd that you can't get a cleaner through.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I agree with Nevada blue that the point of the notch is for the maker to drill to the bottom of the bowl, not to facilitate passing a cleaner.
If you don't want to remove the stem to clean, you can try what I do: turn the stem 180 degrees so the stem and shank make a "c" shape instead of an "s" shape. I find it's easier to pass a pipe cleaner that way.

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Thanks for the responses. Nevada, out of curiosity, why are you surprised a cleaner doesn't pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.