Beginner Lighter Recommendations for Cigars?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I just started venturing into cigars and am looking for a beginner lighter to buy. I’ve tried using my soft flame lighters and they can't seem to the light the cigar well enough or evenly enough. I’d love to hear what you would suggest for someone who’s not yet sold on cigars but wants to dabble.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Jetline with the clear tank. They are inexpensive, like $10 or $15 and sold in most cigar shops.

If you are patient with a soft flame, you can get great flavors without scorching cigar. I found this to aspire to on the coolness, class

I also use my torch lighters regularly, but try to hold at a distance and don’t fry the cigar.

Lastly, I’m a huge fan of the “Faux Ponts”, ST DuPont fakes, they are about $35 to $45 on eBay under ST Dupont Memorial Lighters. I find it at least respectable they are not trying to pass them off as real.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Definitely a torch. Just DO NOT USE IT ON YOUR PIPES.

A torch is necessary for cigars because of the amount of heat, the precision of the flame, its ability to light the whole end of the cigar, and most important the ability to precisely touch up a wrapper that isn't burning straight.

The torch I've found to be the most reliable and durable is the DuPont Maxi-Jet.

Reactions: AroEnglish

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
A friend of mine uses something very similar to this. I have to admit, it seems to work just as well at $10 as my much more expensive Xikar Turismo.

B18CE84E-DCD0-47DD-B39B-A8ECFE1A0579.jpeg

Reactions: AroEnglish

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I can use anything without a problem. My father taught me to keep the source away from the cigar and slowly twist the cigar as you suck the flame to the tobacco. Some do as some pipe smokers do and char the end before lighting. Never found that necessary but, keep in mind, this works for me.

Any lighter which produces a flame should work. So, you choise is limited only by the size of your wallet.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Jetline with the clear tank. They are inexpensive, like $10 or $15 and sold in most cigar shops.

If you are patient with a soft flame, you can get great flavors without scorching cigar. I found this to aspire to on the coolness, class

I also use my torch lighters regularly, but try to hold at a distance and don’t fry the cigar.

Lastly, I’m a huge fan of the “Faux Ponts”, ST DuPont fakes, they are about $35 to $45 on eBay under ST Dupont Memorial Lighters. I find it at least respectable they are not trying to pass them off as real.
Thanks! I think I'll try one of those Jetlines. Any thoughts on a single vs double vs triple?

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I have 2 (single and triple) El cheapo Chinese jetline copy, bought 2 years ago and works fine, so a cheap set from for example Amazon is fine.

In general I like smaller ring gauge from 42 to 48, I use the single the most. You have more control on where you toast and touch ups are more precise.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My favorite torch lighter today is the insert for a standard Zippo.

Mine has a single jet, which is more than good enough.

Unlike the generic torch lighters, so far I’ve been able to refill the Zippo insert without it clogging up or getting an air lock and needing to be bled.

Schmotz40

Lurker
Jan 8, 2022
Delaware
I use this torch that I picked up from dollar general, I've had it about 2 years with no problems and I believe it only costs me about 6 bucks. It's a single flame and I light all kinds of ring gauges with ease.

Attachments

• 16698764806806572215573978495283.jpg
    16698764806806572215573978495283.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 1

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Cedar spills or a long match.

This right here. I've been smoking cigars for near 20 years and fiddled with a jet lighter for a couple of those first years. Smoking a cigar most days back then, I ran through fuel like crazy and got tired of the "miles per gallon" of it all. I practiced with a match and now prefer it as the initial flavors are much cleaner and it's not a mad rush to light the thing just so.

Cedar spills for fancy cigars when I want to start it with a flair.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore