Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bannyc9

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2018
San Diego
Recently got an estate lot and in it was a Barling Fossil (I think). Wondering if any of the historians on this site can help me with it. Is there a way to date this pipe. I am thinking the silver band might have been added later as it seems to cover some of the nomenclature. I can read Barling 5731 and what I think is Fossil.

Any info would be welcomed.
IMG_1604.jpegIMG_1605.jpeg

Reactions: sablebrush52

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't know but it to me looks more recent. Looks nice as heck and like a very pretty handsome lovely pipe. But sablebrush52 has a whole collection of Barlings from his youth (just being a jerk, cause I can't cope with what a exemplar gentleman he is). Bottom line that pipe clearly kicks ass and if it smokes well to excellent for you then it's as good as a pipe can be.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Recently got an estate lot and in it was a Barling Fossil (I think). Wondering if any of the historians on this site can help me with it. Is there a way to date this pipe. I am thinking the silver band might have been added later as it seems to cover some of the nomenclature. I can read Barling 5731 and what I think is Fossil.

Any info would be welcomed.
View attachment 332067View attachment 332068
If the pipe is stamped with "BARLING'S MAKE" with "BARLING'S" arched over "MAKE" and it has a 4 digit model number whose first digit ranges from 2 thru 6, the pipe was made in 1962. That's the only year where this combination of logo stamp and model number coexist.