PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tre123

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2012
I only have one pipe at the moment. Been smoking it since about the end of June. I clean it with pipe cleaners and paper towels before every smoke. I also have only two "house blend" tobacco's I smoke . My question is about the last three bowls I have smoked in it start off good as usual but by about half way finished it starts tasting pretty bad. Has anyone else experienced this? If so what do I need to do? Any help is welcome. Thanks

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
How often do you smoke out of it? Briar does need some time to rest or it will start to taste bitter.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Are you resting the pipe? Say, one day for every bowl smoked since the last rest?

If so, then maybe you should soak a pipe cleaner in alcohol and scrub the shank a little.

tre123

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2012
Thanks for the advice. I will have to get another pipe or two. I didn't realize you had to rest a pipe either. I thought it was in my head

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
It really depends on several factors... First, how often do you smoke and how long does you pipe rest after each smoke? If you smoke every day, several times in a day, your pipe hasn't "rested" long enough to allow the tars, oils and other moisture to dry out, creating a "swampy" pipe. This is probably the biggest reason for having a "rotation" of pipes. Even if you have a few corn cobs in your rotation, it'll help in this situation.
It could also be that your pipe has been smoked so much that it needs a thorough cleaning. One that involves a SHANK BRUSH, some paper towel and a bunch of PIPE CLEANERS. You'll also need some alcohol to clean with. Lawrence is partial to Ezra Brooks, I use Devil's Springs for cleaning but only because I can't get Everclear...
These are only two possible reasons. Without more information, these are my first two guesses...
-Jason
EDIT- I type so slow, everyone else beat me to it.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I would suggest a meerschaum; you can smoke out of them several times a day as long as you give it time to cool between smokes. Or as lordnoble suggested a few corncobs.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Buy a couple of mr brogs, good pipes, cheap, you can get them from Amazon, I have over a 100 pipes and I still have 6 mr brogs , don"t be afraid of the pear wood, they smoke good, I use them for my beater pipes, the scoot is a damn fine pipe, and now I"ve read on this forum they have an xtra large one, I believe you live in south la, I live in Meaux pm me and I"ll give you my phone number and try and help you out. The old cajun

tre123

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2012
Thanks for the advice. I went to the tobacco shop today and bought a cob and a "lower end" savinelli 101 estate? Also tried a new tobacco with perique. Wow!!! That will open you sinuses

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
+1 to the perique. Not for the faint of heart.
If you don't let your briar dry out, you've essentially got tobacco juice still in the pipe.
If resting the pipe does not work then hit the shank with the highest proof alcohol you can get your hands on, and let it dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.