PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
I've owned two Bjarne Viking Classics. I ordered them at the same time and have had rotten luck with both. The first bout of bad luck was when the tenon came out of the stem of one and stuck in the mortise. I pulled it out with pliers and used Gorilla Glue to mend it. It was never a great smoker and was promptly given to a friend that I didn't think would really take up pipe smoking anyway. I never removed the stem while the pipe was warm, so I can't say why it happened outside of bad construction.
The Bjarne that I kept was okay but definitely not my favorite pipe. After a good many smokes, it finally came into its own and eventually smoked better. The other day I smoked it outside and in the bright sunlight, noticed a crack where the bowl and shank meet from 9 O'clock to 3. The only reason I can think of for this must be due to atmospheric changes since I've never tapped it out on my shoe or anything else. I've since taken it off the rack until I decide what to do with it. JB Weld might be the answer.
I've searched forums high and low and every mention of a Bjarne Viking is nothing but kind words. Our own Dunedain seems to love his.
Maybe 2006 was just a bad year.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I've had one for two years and never had a problem with it. I really like it and in my "budget" collection, it is my top of the line pipe. My wife can't justify me spending more than $60 on a pipe.

pbgoldwing55

Lurker
Feb 2, 2010
Dudley i have a Great Dane noding 925 that has done the same thing only the silver band came off and to look at the pipe it looks like briar but god i swear almost looks like a real hard resign plastic ........ maybe it is i have no idea bought it at a pipe shop in amarillo texas

pbgoldwing55

Lurker
Feb 2, 2010
if my wife only knew how much i have spent on the cost of my pipes she would crap her britches . i have an ascoti business i paid 1600.00 for and i love it . have several petersons one i paid 400.00 for it the others around 200.00 a piece .

pbgoldwing55

Lurker
Feb 2, 2010
send it to a pipe shop to be fixed or heck send it to micheal parks in canada he can fix anything , check out his web page www.michealparks.com

pbgoldwing55

Lurker
Feb 2, 2010
http://www.jrinaldipipes.com/index.php here is a site that also does pipe repair or will make you a pipe or you can order about anything you wish . from brair blocks to anything.

give it a whirl .

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Dudley,
I can't speak to the "Viking Classic" but my Bjarne Free Form has been nothing but a pleasure to me for 20 odd years. It's one of my favorites. It is my best slow smoke pipe. In fact I plan to smoke it on April 10th, in a "run what you brung" slow smoke contest. I have never had a problem with mine.
BjarneFlameGrainrt.jpg

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Pbgoldwing,
Thanks for the links. I've heard about J Rinaldi working wonders. Unfortunately, I don't think highly enough of the pipe to send it in. It was about $45 and I've read about fixing briars with JB Weld. Even it doesn't work out, it should at least be fun experimenting.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Pstlpkr,
From the hallmark there on the stem, I see that's it's one of the true high grade Bjarnes. I don't doubt that that's a great smoker, but the grade of it is a few rungs above what's offered in the Viking Classic line.
That's an eye catching pipe too, from the spot that makes it a sitter to the stem work. The push mount really brings all of it together.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I have 3 Bjorne Vikings and love them. I don't have much to compare them to, but no quality problems.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
In my initial post, I'd mentioned that I noticed a crack at the shank & bowl junction of one of my Bjarnes. I'd chalked it up to being caused by atmospheric fluctuations or maybe something else.
In a very satisfying moment a few days ago, I snapped the pipe in two. Turns out, the pipe left the shop with a crack in it, since the stain penetrated all the way to the draft hole. I can't imagine that went unnoticed when it was bare briar.
P4100005.jpg

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
What a crock.
You should send it to them. Who knows you might get something out of it since it's clearly a manufacturing defect.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
You should send it to them. Who knows you might get something out of it since it's clearly a manufacturing defect.
As I understand it, Bjarne no longer exists, since Bjarne Nielsen died. I bought if from P&C, but I'm not sure if they'd accept a return app. 4 years after the fact. I never even knew the crack was there until I saw it in some bright sunlight one day at the right angle.
With that said, I'm going to check the website about returns and probably give them a call this week. I'm looking at the number right now on the banner right below the posting field.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Dudley,

That's a damn shame.

It's probably one of those thousand to one shots that just slipped through.

I hope you can obtain some recompense for your loss.

Good luck.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Dudley... If you have proof that you purchased the pipe from P&C, I hope you give them a chance to rectify the situation. I've got to believe that they will do something for you even if it comes in the form of a credit towards future tobacco purchases. In this day and age the last thing they are going to want is bad PR circulating around a group of loyal and potential customers such as us.
Please let us know what they do for you.

JC

adauria

Lurker
Mar 29, 2010
I think you just have some bad luck. I've got a Viking as well that I love. Of course, this isn't a scientific study.
-Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.