Bad Experience With Pipes & Cigars (Lost My Cringle Flake)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
With all the continuous bashing of P&C on this forum, I don't blame him for not being here.
Jiminks' comment raises an interesting point; and, and interesting question:

"Why don't all the major manufacturers, as well as the online retailers, have a dedicated and active 'Public Relations Guy' as a forum-member, on the more heavily trafficked pipe forum-sites?"

Seems to me, it would build the greatest customer/vendor relations, keep the customers totally in-the-loop with what's happening with their favorite brands, and, offer the manufacturer/vendor the ability to be in immediate contact with their more passionate customers. Something like that would have nipped that awful Prince Albert rumor right in the bud - and before it got out-of-control.

When I was in business, I only wish I had the immediate customer-contact and feedback something like these forums offer a manufacturer/vendor. - Sherm Natman

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I think because of USPS, everyone's having massive issues. PC worked fine for me for number of orders until they failed. And they failed big time. Order some tobacco. No response. Then got a email that the item was not in stock. Then email my order is cancelled. Then 3 months later the order showed up on door. I guess the net result was positive since I got my tobacco. But I hate guessing game. No more soup for the PC.

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
I called 3 times.. on hold for 30 mins plus. How busy can they be? I think they just don't answer the "trouble phone". I worked at a used car lot like that once..

Thing is... My problem was over some cob stems, they sent me all regular straight when I ordered bent danish. with all the money I've spent with those assholes, they could have fixed the problem for 2 bucks.. Hell, I would have been happy if they said they'd include them in my next order. Even if you are running a shitshow, seems look like you could go the extra mile and fix a 2 dollar problem.

Each time I got through it was at least 45 mins if not more...I just put on speaker and multi-task...Not get CS but it is what it is from P&C...

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
I think because of USPS, everyone's having massive issues. PC worked fine for me for number of orders until they failed. And they failed big time. Order some tobacco. No response. Then got a email that the item was not in stock. Then email my order is cancelled. Then 3 months later the order showed up on door. I guess the net result was positive since I got my tobacco. But I hate guessing game. No more soup for the PC.
I had a very similar experience. Had a bag of margate show up last week from the August drop! ...Mixed emotions.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
With all these horrible stories, it is obvious that something is terribly, terribly wrong there.

One of the more consistent complaints regarding P&C points repeatedly to the packing department - which is the last stop in the sales process, before your order/package sits at the staging area, awaiting loading/transporting - and that informs me that their is little to no oversight/quality control with the pickers/packers.

This is big problem #1.

For illustration purposes only, let us imagine P&C has 10 full-time guys who pick and pack your orders. I have no idea if P&C has 2 guys or 200 guys; but for the sake of discussion, let's just say the number is: 10 guys.

If just one of those guys - we'll call him: Jack, Jack Mehoff; and, if Jack is a slack-jawed, bad-attitude, doesn't give a rats-tail, clock-watching, wage-complainer, who carelessly tosses your orders together as fast and carelessly as he can, so he can get back to impressing the other employees who are trying to pack the other orders, with his tall-tales of glorious bank-shots at last nights pool-league, how many shots of whiskey he did last night, and the bar-maid he lanced behind the bar, well, that means that roughly 10% of all out-going orders are likely to have an issue with either: accuracy, completeness, damage occuring in transport, or, the uncaring and sloppy presentation the contents makes upon the customer when it arrives and is opened in your home - provided and assuming, your package and it's contents arrive undamaged in shipping.

10%. That is a huge amount.

And, and if P&C only has 5 guys in their entire picking/packing department, or worse, 2 of that joker I described above, then the potential number of problem orders skyrockets to 20% - 40%.

The sad fact is, if they only have 2 full-time picking/packing guys, and one is the unsupervised bad apple, and, the other employee, the good one, is too scared to straighten-out his co-worker, or unable to report Jack to the non-existent shipping manager, well then, that number shoots up to a ruinous 50% Customer Dissatisfaction potential.

And, that is when the CS phones start ringing off the hook... and you get left on perpetual hold.

Besides the negative visual impact and negative message which is put on the customer when a problem order is received, is the fall-out from that 10% of shipments which potentially have issues/anomalies, then sets off an entire chain of time-wasting and extra expense incurring 'fixes' as the company responds - all of which, suck-up the valuable time of Customer Service employees, and time wasted executing the action-sequence which follows; and all for the company to correct that which should not need correction in the first place - had proper oversight/quality control management been in place at the picking/packing level.

Now, I haven't the foggiest what and where the actual problems within P&C lay; but, I do know this:

If the problem/fault is not with 'Labor', then, it must be with 'Management'; or worse, both.

The other thing I know is this, Time will tell the tale; however, before we learn the real story behind all the problems and customer complaints, the next sound we may hear is: "The number you have reached is not is service, please check the number and dial again... The number you have reached is not is service, please check the number and dial again... ".

I hope they can pull themselves together before that time comes. - Sherm Natman

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I hope they can pull themselves together before that time comes. - Sherm Natman
The thing that really gets me and really just says I refuse to encourage them. Is how persistent these problems are. They either have no ability to or inclination to fixing these issues. I've seen many times where a retailer has an issue like this that happens over a few months or less. But when it's year after year. They either don't care or aren't capable of running an endeavor of such size. Neither is acceptable way to run a business.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks again for all the congratulations, and thanks for the good comments and insights.

I am not smoking a pipe during this time in my life, due to the amount of time it takes up, but I would still like to get my order. I sent them another email and am waiting for a reply (they never replied to the first one).

Look, before this I've never had a problem with P&C, but after they waited 10 days to even consider shipping my order and charging my card I think I would have been a much happier camper just ordering from Smoking Pipes instead of seeing it in stock and saying, "Neat," then falling asleep only to find it out of stock the following morning.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
There are more and more people everywhere you look saying, "Don't say that". More than I have ever seen.. what's with people anymore. Low T? Are you really afriad to complain about bad service? You know, that's part of being a consumer. You'd rather get your turds pushed in than speak up?

I've had fair luck with these people... (other than some cob stems) So I order from them. If and when they screw me over, I'd expect to be able to warn my friends in the pipe community!

"This suppression will not stand, man."- Jeffery Lebowski

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
I just started smoking a pipe last April or so, and like a lot of people, I quickly did a LOT of online tobacco-buying. In fact, I didn't realize HOW much buying I did until just now when I counted the number of orders I placed with P&C since then: 23! Jeez, I dare not add up to see the grand total. There were also a number of orders with Smokingpipes, and a few with Tobaccopipes.com, but I definitely did most of my buying from P&C.

I was scared by the talk that the Feds might crack down on shipping tobacco, or on selling tobacco period. So I was consciously trying to buildup a good reserve of tobacco, so that my new hobby wouldn't be stopped dead in its tracks.

I found the homey, olde-time tone of P&C's catalogs and website to be a lot of fun, and also, I was a sucker for many of their sales. In retrospect I realize I fell for a few "how the hell are we gonna get rid of all this ________?" "Let's put it on sale and tell them it's great!" plans, and have a few tins that will be the tobacco they bury me with (I'm looking at you, Murray's 1862!) but mostly I wised-up quickly and read a lot and smoked a lot, and mostly bought quality tobacco and learned about a lot of different blends and cuts. So mostly, money well spent.

My customer experience with P&C has mostly been fine - I always get the packages very quickly.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago: I placed an order with P&C, and when it arrived it was missing one of three MM cobs I ordered. I right away emailed them, and after no response a few days later, I fired off another email AND a note through their contact form. After another several days, no response at all. I tried calling once or twice, but always got that recording and held for about 10 minutes, and then I had to continue with my life so hung up. Well, a couple of days ago I called and just waited...and waited, and after 40 minutes I was shocked when a guy actually came on th line.

I explained the issue, and the guy was quite nice. The pipe that was missing was now out of stock, so he let me pick out a different model, and said it would be okay even if it cost more, so I asked for one that was $3 or 4 more than the missing one. So I'm perfectly happy with that outcome. But they definitely need to work on their response time, or lack of a response. That was worse than the missing item, in my eyes.

Sorry if that's anticlimactic! I'm a bit surprised to hear that there's so much dissatisfaction with them, and was surprised at the response problem. The olde-timey schtick gave me the impression that they would be totally on top of things as far as customer service.

I actually placed a new order today, figuring I wouldn't give up on them! I liked the look of one of the Erin Go Bragh pipes they just added and promoted, but I definitely wasn't swayed by the offer of a free pouch of Erin Go Bragh when ordering one of their pipes. But that's because I was suckered into the previous Erin Go Bragh tobacco sale early on. Blech!, that's another one they can bury me with!

(Damn, I can be verbose! Sorry!)

Reactions: shermnatman

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
... I found the homey, olde-time tone of P&C's catalogs and website to be a lot of fun, and also, I was a sucker for many of their sales...
Jeremia Johnson - Yes; to me, I really do not wish to see P&C go down for the very reason which you cite.

I love getting their catalogs delivered to my home - my postman enjoys reading them too, before delivery it seems; ahem! - and, I find their website to be the easiest of all to navigate and easiest on my eyes. I also love the fun tone and friendly atmosphere which comes across in their ad-copy; and, their 'Battle of the Blends' are enjoyable and interesting to consider - even if I didn't partake in them very often.

That, along with the direct past-participation of Russ here on the forum, was specifically why 85% of my all past business used to go to P&C; however, with all the horror stories, frankly, that percentage has dropped to 0%. Part of the reason I smoke a pipe is to relax, enjoy, and contemplate a better world around me; and not to pay for the privilege of incurring: aggravation, disappointment, and frustration.

I sincerely hope P&C will eventually right themselves, and get things back to the way they used to be; because, I'd like to return as their customer, and I would hate to see them go away - however, until that time comes...

By the way: Welcome to the forum! Verbose is good, when so well-written. Is Jeremia Jones your real name? If so, that's very cool sounding - like a jazz bassist, action-movie hero, or something like that! - Sherm Natman

Reactions: Jeremiah Johnson

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
Jeremia Johnson - Yes; to me, I really do not wish to see P&C go down for the very reason which you cite.

I love getting their catalogs delivered to my home - my postman enjoys reading them too, before delivery it seems; ahem! - and, I find their website to be the easiest of all to navigate and easiest on my eyes. I also love the fun tone and friendly atmosphere which comes across in their ad-copy; and, their 'Battle of the Blends' are enjoyable and interesting to consider - even if I didn't partake in them very often.

That, along with the direct past-participation of Russ here on the forum, was specifically why 85% of my all past business used to go to P&C; however, with all the horror stories, frankly, that percentage has dropped to 0%. Part of the reason I smoke a pipe is to relax, enjoy, and contemplate a better world around me; and not to pay for the privilege of incurring: aggravation, disappointment, and frustration.

I sincerely hope P&C will eventually right themselves, and get things back to the way they used to be; because, I'd like to return as their customer, and I would hate to see them go away - however, until that time comes...

By the way: Welcome to the forum! Verbose is good, when so well-written. Is Jeremia Jones your real name? If so, that's very cool sounding - like a jazz bassist, action-movie hero, or something like that! - Sherm Natman

Thanks for the kind words, and the welcome! I actually misspelled my name here: it should be Jeremiah Johnson, not Jeremia. Oops! Not my real name, it's the name of a 1972 movie starring Robert Redford, about a mountain man trying to survive the elements and the crow indians (and other mountain men). It made a big impression on me as a kid. I was 9 when I saw it, and it has some visceral scenes. One is when he finds another mountain man he knows, Hatchet Jack, frozen solid in the outdoors. Yike!

Reactions: shermnatman
Status
Not open for further replies.