B&M Find: Radice Oil Cured & Twin Bore (info?)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dog_park_piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
Not long ago I walked into a local B&M and found this Radice with a sticker from the early 2000s. It was from the previous owner of the location before the current owner moved in.

I know very little about the oil curing or the twin bore attempts.

Happy to learn anything you can share about it.

The info on the internet broadly is spotty. So, I come to the masters.

IMG_4756.jpeg
IMG_4777.jpeg
IMG_4754.jpeg

IMG_4762.jpeg

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
Nice looking pipe. I've never been clear on what the twin bore part is supposed to accomplish. How does it smoke and can you get a pipe cleaner through the stem?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Nice looking pipe. I've never been clear on what the twin bore part is supposed to accomplish. How does it smoke and can you get a pipe cleaner through the stem?
I have one twin bore that I smoke infrequently but my understanding is that it was intended to help clenchers not bite through or crush the stem.

Not a huge fan, although regular pipe cleaners usually pass okay it’s a bit fiddly, and yes it smokes just fine. I don’t know that I’d call it a gimmick, but as with stingers and such more of an idea that didn’t prove popular.

🤷🏼‍♂️ IDK but I probably won’t buy another one and considered having a new stem made for it.

Reactions: dog_park_piper

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
My only comment is about the twin bore stem. The smoke is directed to both sides of the mouth. I don’t consider it a gimmic from a fine maker like Radice. The only drawback is only a narrow cleaner is required to keep an open airway.

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
Oil curing has been much mythologized over the years, but I have my doubts about how good this process is for the goodness of the briar. I rather think it was more of an expedient to shorten the long maturing times.
I believe that re-proposing it in the 2000s has more of a curiosity value than anything else.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Great find!
I’ve only seen a couple of other Radice twin bores.The only twin bore I have is a Charatan. It smokes well but I don’t think it is superior to a single bore in anyway and it’s a bit of a pain to clean.