PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

themolco

Lurker
Feb 19, 2011
I recently received a pipe from a friend in Russia and am trying to track down its origins. the stamp is a bit worn, the only characters I can make out are _ _ AВТAБA _. The first character could be D, B, R, or P (edit: Possibly O or C, but unlikely). The second could be Д, but is too worn to be certain. The last is either B or R.
Additionally, the pipe is purported to have been crafted before WWII.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,

M.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Themolco, we're glad to have you aboard.
If you can post a photo or two someone may know some history on it.

But, if it is Russian and pre-WWII, might be tough to identify.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi Themolco, and welcome to the PM.com forums! :clap:
I couldn't find anything with Cyrillic characters at the pipe logos & markings website; and there's not much there for Russia and Ukraine.

Perhaps a hallmark, stamp, or symbol on the stem would be more useful, if there is one.

themolco

Lurker
Feb 19, 2011
I have a photo of the front of the pipe, but my camera died so no other pics of any quality until later in the week. I am pretty sure the stem has been remade. There are no markings of any kind on it, either.
Here's the "face" of the pipe (link on flickr). It's a pretty unique design, so perhaps it will strike a chord with someone?
Thanks fellows!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have seen a couple of those turn up on ebay in the last year or so. No information on the maker though that I remember.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hmmm... looks like folk art, or something meant for the tourist trade; but the Cyrillic stamping is puzzling.

Also, its size suggests that it is intended for use in a form of smoking that involves very small quantities of very strong weed

-- popular in Eastern countries -- and not too closely related to pipe tobacco. I can't remember what that's called,

but it's been mentioned here a few times. I think getting that stamping translated would be the first step.

russianpipe.jpg

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
It looks as though it's a carving of Lenin, which would fit with the Russian background.

themolco

Lurker
Feb 19, 2011
The only thing that keeps me from thinking it is a carving of Lenin is the direction the eyes look. He was generally depicted looking upwards, while this character is definitely looking downwards.
I don't think it was meant to be a shisha pipe, though it wouldn't surprise me. It handles a good stout English okay, so that's me in a happy place=)

Status
Not open for further replies.