PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I picked up a tin of this over the weekend. Fresh production, so no old cellared, old recipe stuff here. New version, current version, etc.
Once home I popped the tin and filled up a tasting pipe, one of my Briarwork's Princes. I like these because the wide bowl let's lots of leaf light up and I can pack it loose if I am tasting or don't have the full allotment to get down on a long smoke.

No. 2 is a Virginia Perique ribbon, and Astley's is made by Kohlhass & Kopp.

This blend, in this version and freshness, is really popping for me. It's smooth, hints of spice and some nice full flavor with a subtle sweet aftertaste that as soon as it leaves, I find myself drawing more in. It may have notes of vanilla or honey or raw sugar, maple? Hard for me to place it specifically other than sweet and good.

I have since committed my commutes to this blend, this week at least, and have to say it's really good. Like If I had to smoke this, and didn't have 900 blends to choose from, I would be a merry lad for the rest of my days.

I'll be getting more.

This is also encouraging for those of us whose cellars aren't a mature as others. I hear plenty of 'it's not what it used to be' comments. As valid as they may be, my bliss derives from ignorance of leaves of the past...

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
This is also encouraging for those of us whose cellars aren't a mature as others. I hear plenty of 'it's not what it used to be' comments. As valid as they may be, my bliss derives from ignorance of leaves of the past...

Right on! I'm still fairly new to the hobby so I don't have anything in my inventory older than 2+ years, nor have I any experience with those coveted blends of yesteryear that are so often praised by veteran smokers.

So this is really great news for me. A blend that I can enjoy fresh, without feeling obligated to tuck it away for several years.

Thank you @Oddball !

Reactions: kcghost and Oddball

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
@cosmicfolklore I have 4 tins of 109 and 44 each.

The one 109 I opened had some age, a couple of years, but nothing old.
They are good flakes, but didn't detect any flavoring but also felt like it could use some more time. I'm glad I have a couple in the cellar...

Now, if you wanted to send me some north to compare, it would be for posterity. A noble cause.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
There are always those who say nothing is like it used to be. There are plenty of really good blends still out there. The problem is some things do change...that doesnt make them bad...just different. To many different=bad.