SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 23, 2023
Hello all, I'll leave the main question up top with extra information down below for those that care to read.
Thanks in advance for any guidance and please pardon greenhorn mistakes.

Question: Does anyone have recommendations for aromatics "with a little extra"? Blends that are primarily aromatic
but have a little latakia, a punchy burley base, a virginia twang, etc. I've found stuff like Two friends chocolate English
and Edward G. Robinson's blend, but I figured I'd ask here to see what you all think.

Background: I'm one year into my pipe journey. For starters I was smoking various blends from an amphora sampler
pack purchased online and OTC stuff I found around town. Last fall we took our yearly trip to Gettysburg, but on the
way we made a detour to Chambersburg to visit J.M. Boswells shop. I asked the very kind and knowledgeable shopkeeper
the same question I've posed above, and he pointed me to their "bear blend". It's a cherry / caramel aromatic with a touch
of latakia. It quickly became my favorite blend in my collection to the point I'm rationing it like it's the last drops of water
in the desert!

An embarrassing story: I had spent hours online reading about pipes and tobacco in the months before this trip,
but when I walked into the store I became what I can only describe as "star struck". I had never been in a real pipe
shop before and I was suddenly surrounded by all the things I had been obsessively reading about. I asked the
attendant "do you have any recommendations for uhhhh... beginner wood pipes?". I had forgotten what briar
pipes are made of! After quietly processing my stupidity for a few moments he politely suggested I was looking for
briar pipes, and very kindly helped me pick out my first briar.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
A couple of my favourites:-
Sillem’s Black
MacBaren’s Mixture: Scottish Blend
Boswells have a couple which they label as “English” (eg Northwoods) meaning they contain Latakia’Orientals but which I would class as crossover blends ie aromatics with Latakia/Orientals

Boswells have sampler packs - a good way to try a few blends without outlaying for whole tins

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
A couple of my favourites:-
Sillem’s Black
MacBaren’s Mixture: Scottish Blend
Boswells have a couple which they label as “English” (eg Northwoods) meaning they contain Latakia’Orientals but which I would class as crossover blends ie aromatics with Latakia/Orientals

Boswells have sampler packs - a good way to try a few blends without outlaying for whole tins
You just named my favorite blends. What else would you recommend?

Reactions: Nevaditude

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You just named my favorite blends. What else would you recommend?
😁
I have a large selection of blends open as I like plenty of variety

I smoke Virginias, VaPers, English or Balkan blends mostly.
But now that my smoking cadence has improved, I find I’m enjoying aromatics much more. Yes even the much maligned Mixture 79

I post my smokes on the WAYS thread most weekends

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
HGL
⭐⭐⭐️Blue
Distinguish Gentleman
Edward G Robinson

Are all “crossover” blends aka aromatic English blends. ⭐⭐⭐️Blue is a great burley based Aro with some Latakia, kind of a codgery English.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
Sutliff Eastfarthing or 504C comes to mind - aromatic Englishes.
I found Eastfarthing to be a little too light, though the taste that was there was good. I was recently given a bag of Smoker's Pride Vanilla, but I don't prefer straight vanilla so it's been sitting unopened. I decided to mix it about 2/5ths with some Best of the Rest English I've also been sitting on and... it's everything I hoped Eastfarthing would would be! Very noticeable latakia that is perfectly sweetened by the vanilla, and a more full taste. Don't be afraid to experiment!