PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

redleaderdave

Lurker
Jan 19, 2022
Bridgewater Ma
Hey gang, forgive the newbie question if this has been discussed in the past. This may be something that doesn't have a solid definition but I figured it would be worth investigating.

I know the major difference between aromatic tobaccos and non aromatic tobaccos like English blends, Virginia, Burley, ect. However, I've notices a number of specific tobaccos like Bengal Slices, Windjammer, MB Navy Flake that are still listed as an english blends or whatever family it might be on SmokingPipes or Tobaccoreview but also lists a flavoring like rum or some other flavoring. Isn't that what an aromatic tobacco is or do these examples have just a small touch of flavor that simply adds to the overall blend and is not intended to dominate the tobacco like aromatics do (or atleast the ones I've tried)? I recently purchased Bengal Slices and Windjammer but I haven't cracked the tins yet because I was waiting to get a couple of clean mason jars to put them in. I'm looking to try them out soon, though.

Dave

Reactions: kcghost

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It's really just a matter of degree. Almost all commercial pipe tobacco has some flavoring added to it. Whether it is referred to as casing, or topping, it is still a flavor. Add a little and you're a culinary genius. Add a lot and you'll sell more and be able to unload some less that stellar tobacco.

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
When I first started smoking aromatic blends were blends that contained Latakia and Orientals. Blends that had additional flavorings were flavored blends. Not sure when the flavored ones started being called aromatics.

Maybe a marketing strategy. Aromatic sounds more sophisticated than flavored. English, Oriental and Latikia already sound exotic and sophisticated.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
We don't have hard and fast rules that we once did. It used to be if it had anything in that wasn't tobacco, we say it is an aromatic. Certain blends contain some alcohol in the blend and say it is non-aromatic. Over time we have come to accept that if it isn't doesn't affect the flavor of the tobacco it is okay. Sometimes the manufacturer decides for you. You can take it to the bank if it "ghosts" your pipe it is an aromatic.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Actually, English, Balkan, and Oriental blends were once defined as “aromatic” blends because the component leaf is highly aromatic.

Sometime in the early 20th century heavily topped blends, generally cherry and/or vanilla became the aromatics. Today’s aromatics can be complex with spices and savory flavors in addition to the usual sweetened flavors. There are also semi aromatics, blends where the topping is applied more sparingly.
Most all commercial blends are flavored to some degree, such as when cased.