PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grimlineman

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2023
Georgia
Might be a silly question but I have an old lighter that I expect has an asbestos wick in it although don’t know for sure.Looks like a rope and seems very fire resistant.

Hate to change it because I know how bad new wicks are and it lights like a dream with the old one in it. Just want to see how crazy y’all say I am for keeping it or if anyone else ain’t skerd to continue to use one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Grimlineman

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2023
Georgia
It’s an old nimrod I recently inherited that the forums helped me identify. The info I read about them they came on the scene in 1947 and was popular in the 50”s and 60”s.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I'm interested in the general consensus here ... I inherited 5 or 6 1960-1980 zippos with the asbestos wick and some of them are nice. One person on the forums threw the entire insert mechanism away and bought new ones. Seems extreme but the wadding probably did touch the asbestos.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I'm interested in the general consensus here ... I inherited 5 or 6 1960-1980 zippos with the asbestos wick and some of them are nice. One person on the forums threw the entire insert mechanism away and bought new ones. Seems extreme but the wadding probably did touch the asbestos.
Well yeah but the wadding can be replaced along with the wick. Seems a bit extreme to me.

Reactions: Grimlineman

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
If the lighter has fluid in it the wick is wet and I’d suggest that “if” there was loose fibres they are mitigated to a large extent. It’s up to you to determine if benzene plus the million other chemicals from fuel and tobacco coupled with a miscreant asbestos fibre pose a health risk…………..

Reactions: Grimlineman

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I have one old Zippo that a thread a few weeks ago alerted me to it having an asbestos wick.

I have a few Zippo pipe inserts in boxes and traded one out for the innards of the offending lighter - fit perfectly as expected and no biggie, I'd have eventually switched out anyway but glad I'm not lighting up asbestos!

Reactions: Hillcrest

Zapasta

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2021
Tampa, FL
Might be a silly question but I have an old lighter that I expect has an asbestos wick in it although don’t know for sure.Looks like a rope and seems very fire resistant.

Hate to change it because I know how bad new wicks are and it lights like a dream with the old one in it. Just want to see how crazy y’all say I am for keeping it or if anyone else ain’t skerd to continue to use one?
You could always take off a small piece and send it to a lab to test. I know EMSL does this. I'm not sure how much it would cost but then you would know for sure at least. They charge per sample, so if you just sent one small sample, I don't think it would be much at all.

Last edited:

Zapasta

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2021
Tampa, FL
I will say, if it is asbestos, it is very harmful. Wicks by nature are fibrous and potentially friable, especially being that old. And with you lighting it up, that would be releasing fibers into the air that you wind up inhaling and it can cause irreversible health problems years down the road.