PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ziv

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2024
South Florida
Is there any info on what kind of flavorings are used? Are they natural or artificial?
Do more expensive blends use higher grade toppings?
Thanks!

hoipolloiglasgow

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Both natural and artificial. It depends on the company. C&D prides themselves on using natural ingredients. For example, for the blend Corncob Pipe and a Button Nose, they melted marshmallows down in high proof vodka and added cocoa for the flavoring. Most of the time with blends like Englishes, the toppings are natural. A lot of tonquin, anise, and honey flavorings are used.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Toppings are both (think food type flavorings), man-made (think booze and other things) or chemical (polypropylene). Greg Pease said a few years just about all tobaccos have at least little something put on them.

Reactions: anotherbob and ziv

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Is there any info on what kind of flavorings are used? Are they natural or artificial?
Do more expensive blends use higher grade toppings?
Thanks!
you know those terms actually mean nothing. I'd say though in general I'd say they're closer to what people consider natural. But the best thing to answer that is go to the source and ask them. Some blenders will be pretty happy to tell you precisely what toppings they use and others not as much.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
No, I only smoke English with no toppings, pure tobacco's, the only way I like, been doing it for 60yrs, occasionally Lakelands, that's as far as I go. puffy
You may think that you are smoking "pure tobaccos", but chances are there are flavorings added. Have you ever bought whole leaf tobacco and smoked it straight? It's certainly not what most pipe smokers are accustomed to! I once bought samples of every Latakia that I could get my hands on. In a side by side comparison where we should have fairly subtle differences (based on where and when it was produced) there were some major deviations that could only be attributed to post-processing with flavorings. I was quite surprised. The best Latakia was the 1998 vintage whole leaf from Whole Leaf Tobacco, right out of the bale. The Latakia that I bought from Mark Ryan was also exceptional. The most questionable was Gawith Hoggarth. It didn't even look like Latakia. Russ O. opined that it may have been steamed, then flavored, but we really had no way to tell.

Both "natural" (meaning not synthetic, but derived from natural sources) and wholly man-made flavorings are widely used across the entire spectrum of pipe tobacco blends. Not all, mind you, but many blends have had some help from the bottle. I don't think that's a negative, at all. Unless those additives turn out to be unhealthful.

Last edited: