PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
The best thing about a jet torch is you can smoke anything, even sopping wet fresh out of the tin, which greatly enhances the flavor of Aromatics.

Sure, you might scorch the rim if you’re not careful, so don’t smoke an expensive pipe with a torch, there’s plenty of cheaper options.
I will add that a soft flame that can be directed into the bowl might do just as well, but I haven’t got around to trying one of those yet. And I haven’t actually found a torch lighter I’m really happy with either (the cold climate definitely makes butane less effective).

I get the feeling that Sable is trying to tell us something... :puffy:
I will add that a soft flame that can be directed into the bowl might do just as well

You do not have to direct the flame into the bowl. You have just hover it about half an inch above the bowl, even on a bowl that is over 2" deep. I do it all the time, and I don't have to huff and puff, just casually draw in as you normally would. Try it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Some were hysterically enthused on learning the Frank method when it rolled out in the mid-2000s, which requires a torch. I'm sure some use it but for most it is a blip of pipe history. At any rate this is the only time that I remember a torch being recommended about a briar. I never used it as even if the pack was superior, I would have had to be so careful not to scorch the wood.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I've tried the Frank method, but I never used a torch. Briar burns around 1300 degrees F, and torch flames start out around 1700. I refuse to use a torch on a pipe.
Russ

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I was in Puerto Rico this week- wind blowing 15-20 on the beach. I have a dual flame lighter and couldn't get the soft flame to light. The torch saved it- it takes some technique to get it right....

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm not surprised to hear that the Frank method suggests a torch. The guy doesn't even bother to dry his tobacco before packing, so I already know that he doesn't know what he's doing.
If you're into cremating the rim and chamber walls of your pipes, as well as tasting cremated tobacco, rock on.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Any fire can harm briar, and any fire can be used with good results. Torches are to be avoided, unless in winds over about 10 mph, when that may be the only way.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
In the field, I use a Xikar Cirro High Altitude Lighter. This is meant for cigars, Al. A mile or more from the car, I encounter all kinds of weather and winds. I have four nice soft flame lighters in the house, but none work well, daily, outside... away from a building.

I invert the lighter over the bowl, open it, and lower it. I turn my back to the wind, as even this lighter will not work well facing the wind.

Here are three of my field nosewarmers. The bowl on the left is my oldest field pipe... eight years, and I have reamed it. The middle pipe has a cat hair added... not on purpose. Two of these have smooth rim wood and no burning to speak of on any of them

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Soft flame, of course. But I give the nod to snowy for effective use of the torch when needed, namely outdoors. I have used a torch as well when outside and the wind is blowing and I want my pipe lit. Of course I use smokeable second cobs from MM, so the risk/reward is a much better ratio.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Even though I'm outside a lot, I never use a torch lighter or any other wind-resistant device. To me, if it's too windy to light a match or a Bic, that's God telling me not to smoke that day.

Mar 1, 2014
You do not have to direct the flame into the bowl. You have just hover it about half an inch above the bowl, even on a bowl that is over 2" deep. I do it all the time, and I don't have to huff and puff, just casually draw in as you normally would. Try it.
You won’t get anywhere smoking Lakelands like that, especially not fresh from the tin as I’m so fond of (maximum “Floral Kick”).

Status
Not open for further replies.