PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I've heard some pipe makers reinforce straight bamboo shanks with metal tubes, but was wondering about bent bamboo shanks. If the bent shanks are not reinforced, how durable is bamboo?

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Theree isn't a specific makes. I've just heard over the years on this forum and the pipesmagezine radio show that some makers reinforce their bamboo, either the entire length or the shank/stem and stem/bit junction.

Theree isn't a specific makes. I've just heard over the years on this forum and the pipesmagezine radio show that some makers reinforce their bamboo, either the entire length or the shank/stem and stem/bit junction.
Yes, a few of mine have tubes, some don't except at the fittings on both sides, and one doesn't seem to have anything. If it were me, I would ask before buying, especially if it is a deal killer. I wouldn't buy another that doesn't have anything except the vulcanite tenon again.

I, now, always ask to see the stem pulled out of a spigot with a photo showing me both the male and female side of the fitment.. There are a lot of faux spigots on the market now. Even Savinelli makes some.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Kendo/Kumdo is modern Japanese sword art based on ancient tradition. We use bamboo sword to beat the crap out of each other. Yes, we wear bogu (armor). But I noticed newbies like hitting unprotected areas. Anyway, bamboos are strong length wise. Problem is when a fiber break loose. That weak point will more or less keep on breaking. Two death in Kendo with its fairly long history. Both due to bamboo sprinter through an eye.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
if you ask me I would say it's less reinforcing the bamboo and more about creating a solid connection.

This is the answer.

Bamboo is insanely strong structurally. No worries there.

Attaching it to things like pipe bowls is a gold plated pig bitch to do reliably well. VERY fussy.

Many pipemakers get into trouble with it in that regard.

The best bamboo/stummel connection technique is pinning, but it is almost never used by artisan carvers (reason unknown).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This is the answer.

Bamboo is insanely strong structurally. No worries there.

Attaching it to things like pipe bowls is a gold plated pig bitch to do reliably well. VERY fussy.

Many pipemakers get into trouble with it in that regard.

The best bamboo/stummel connection technique is pinning, but it is almost never used by artisan carvers (reason unknown).
oh thanks. I have to admit I feel a bit prouder then I probably should at the moment. No worries it will pass. :)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I would love to know more about this. Who does this, or do you have an example you could point me to?

Think mortise and tenon, with a small hole drilled all the way through sideways.

Then put a hardened length of rod into the airway, insert a small metal pin into each hole from the side, and stake them simultaneously.

One and done. A glueless mechanical connection that will never fail.

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 2.27.33 PM.png

Think mortise and tenon, with a small hole drilled all the way through sideways.

Then put a hardened length of rod into the airway, insert a small metal pin into each hole from the side, and stake them simultaneously.

Awesome! Thanks, and that makes total sense! This puts a Dunhill bamboo on my radar.

Reactions: Zero

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

View attachment 203095
That tarnished rubber between the stummel and bamboo is bugging the hell out of me. Aaaaaaaarghhhhhh!

Don't worry I'll be OK. I'm taking deep breaths and trying to think pleasant thoughts of blue skies, green fields, daisies, and Ms. Y. 💊

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That tarnished rubber between the stummel and bamboo is bugging the hell out of me. Aaaaaaaarghhhhhh!

Don't worry I'll be OK. I'm taking deep breaths and trying to think pleasant thoughts of blue skies, green fields, daisies, and Ms. Y. 💊

Low(ish) speed Spinny Thing + touch of Scrubby Stuff = :)

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 6.24.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 6.26.28 PM.png