PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
It appears to be a very small pipe. They don't have any pictures that show how the airway is drilled, either. I'd pass for those reasons, bu tI'm no expert. Maybe Yavuz knows this guy.

lildutchboy

Lurker
Dec 1, 2012
Thanks Baron and Roth. I saw that pipe from Don and was sorely tempted. But the ebay one i was looking at was a pirate and i haven't seen pone like it. Guess patience will have to be my guide.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I have 2 meers. one is an el-cheapo that I picked up just to try. Now I use it as my car pipe since it doesnt have to rest. My other one is a very cool 30 year old beautiful meer that i picked up on ebay. But i am in the market for something nicer. I want a claw holding something but I want really really good carving. I've seen a lot of ho-hum on ebay. Can someone point me in the right direction? Looking for new. Thanks.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Zonomo

Yanik carved meerschaums are excellent pipes IMO. He is considered one of the finest carvers in the world, uses only block meerschaum and although they are not inexpensive sometimes you can get a good buy on eBay for one. Beware of forgeries though. He has such a great reputation that others sometimes pass off inferior pipes as a yanik. Another very reputable pipe dealer is Deniz Ural. He is a retailer of some very fine meerschaum carvers, and the pipes he sells are all first quality. Hope this helps and have fun in your search.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I would steer clear of the cheapos.
I have a cheapo that I picked up from the bay many many years ago... to this day Ive maybe smoked it 20 times in 10 years... I believe its pressed meer, has a very off smell and really just doesnt smoke well.
I would love to own a nice well made meer, but definitely going to wait until I can afford one from a very reputable carver.

poligerard

Lurker
Dec 28, 2012
I have over 20 meers and there is at least one pipe from almost each meerschaum dealer except "AND meerschaums".

IMP,STORIENT,SMS,CAO,BAKI and some others in my collection.

All I can say is ; if you have not yet smoked a Storient or a Baki then you have not smoked a meer yet.
I had bought my first meer on ebay 15 years ago.It was a cheap pipe that I could smoke only a few weeks.

Thanks god I am much more experienced now.Later I bought some other estate meers on ebay but they were made by reputable companies like CAO,Sms etc and sold by reputable ebay sellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.