PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
As I've mentioned a number of times here on the board, I'm not a constant smoker. I love my pipes and I love my tobacco, but everything has its time and place. Until such time as I do some home renos to make my home office more smoke-friendly, my choices of place are the garage or the deck/yard. Since I spend eight hours or more per day in my home office and my pipes are right here, it seems a natural to have one in my mouth from time to time, even though it's not lit.
The echoes of the recent burnt offerings to the tobacco gods are alive and well in the pipes and to me it's quality time with my briar.
Anyone else do this, or is it just me?
Simon

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
I do that. My pipes are in my office, but because A) we're renting, and B) SWMBO won't let me smoke in the house anyway, I sometimes sit and chew on a corncob.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yes, infrequently I enjoy the charms of an unlit Pipe.

I've always thought that it's another part of Pipe smoking.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
I am a clencher and if I am doing something with both hands like working on restoring a pipe, i will be so engrossed in what i am doing I will have an unlit pipe clenched. But I reather have it lit with something good in it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've never fiddled with an unlit pipe, but I'm gonna try that sometime. It might have some therapeutic effect.
---not that I actually need therapy, you understand.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I do it all the time. I usualy have a couple of pipes on my desk and I will have one in my mouth or hands at various times throughout the day. I always carry a pipe with me when I go out which is why I've grown to like sandblast as much as smooth finishes, they are much more tactile.

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
When deciding upon which pipe to smoke, I sometimes trial fit one or three of them in my mouth to see which bit happens to fit best at the moment. Then I load that one up. If I just sit around with an unlit pipe in my mouth though, I tend to start drooling... not a pretty sight.

philblum

Lurker
Oct 15, 2010
No, not anymore. I used to when I began smoking pipes and had an unlit pipe in my mouth while painting. don't do that anymore. The enjoyment begins with filling my pipe.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
When I purchased my bare wood Savinelli, I kept it in my mouth all the way from the store. This past summer, while on a road trip from Little Rock to Branson, I kept my unlit pipe in my hands the entire trip. The lingering odor of the empty bowl was pleasant and holding the pipe help to keep me occupied while driving. The bare wood on my pipe actually darkens the more you hold it, so I find myself adding more tone to the wood the longer I keep it close by. Lit or unlit, still a pleasure.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
Really not.... I can smoke in my office...and though I most often have a pipe in hand or mouth it is usually making smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.