PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hello All,

Calling Ken Barnes!!!! Trying to find out more about another ebay acquisition. I'm pretty sure this is obviously a Lane era pipe, but I can't find anything out about the shape. It is a Distinction Deluxe and has an "Extra Large" stamp. It is rather a large pipe, and has some dandy straight grain, and some neat birdseye on the rim. The pipe and it's nomenclature are in damn good condition, but I can't find any shape nomenclature anywhere on it other than "Extra large" (cursive script lettering) over the "MADE BY HAND" stamp. The other side just reads "CHARATAN'S MAKE" over "LONDON. ENGLAND" over "DISTINCTION" over "DELUXE" and has the Lane "L" in a circle to the left. It also has the intersecting CP on the stem as well as a Reg'd No. that begins in "203....." and appears to be six digits on the stems other side. The pipe is about 6 and 3/8 in length and the bowl is 2 and1/8th tall with a chamber diameter of 7/8. I have scoured google trying to find another example with no success. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: trouttimes

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Nice grain on that one. No idea about that shape, but just wanted to say that I have two "Mountbatten" pipes which I understand to be made by Charatan apprentices. They are both excellent pipes, and one (a large bent billiard) is my favorite pipe for latakia blends. Looks like a good buy!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Nice grain on that one. No idea about that shape, but just wanted to say that I have two "Mountbatten" pipes which I understand to be made by Charatan apprentices. They are both excellent pipes, and one (a large bent billiard) is my favorite pipe for latakia blends. Looks like a good buy!

Thanks! I'm ecstatic on the pipe in general, especially for the price. Really excited about the size in particular. This is one big mother for a classic english pipe. Excited to load it up with a whole tin of something....

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I would say it's not unusual for pipes from this period to not have a shape number.

"Generally, block letters “MADE BY HAND” and some of the other nomenclature in script (i.e. City of London or Extra Large next to the MADE BY HAND) means the pipe was made sometime between 1965 and the mid 1970’s. The total script nomenclature “Made by Hand in City of London” evolved over this period of time, so many pipes had variants, such as Made By Hand in block letters and City of London in script, or some other variation of the terms or stampings."

Ken will have more information I'm sure.

Very nice looking pipe by the way, it looks to be in excellent condition.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I would say it's not unusual for pipes from this period to not have a shape number.

"Generally, block letters “MADE BY HAND” and some of the other nomenclature in script (i.e. City of London or Extra Large next to the MADE BY HAND) means the pipe was made sometime between 1965 and the mid 1970’s. The total script nomenclature “Made by Hand in City of London” evolved over this period of time, so many pipes had variants, such as Made By Hand in block letters and City of London in script, or some other variation of the terms or stampings."

Ken will have more information I'm sure.

Very nice looking pipe by the way, it looks to be in excellent condition.

Good to know about the MIA shape numbers. Read the same excerpt regarding dating, pretty confident in the date range for this one. Hopefully Ken can chime in on shaping. Thanks! It is in shockingly good condition, very excited about it. Stem has been rubbed a few times (CP no longer white) but that's nothing some white crayon can't fix and is about the only issue other than the stem being a tiny bit tight. Couldn't ask for a Stummel/Nomenclature in better condition. New coat of wax and she'll be shining like new! Can't wait to smoke it.

Reactions: dmcmtk

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Seriously? Nobody knows anything about this shape? This would be the first time no one has been able to drop any knowledge! Time to PM Ken Directly I guess....hopefully he made it to the new site....

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
maybe no one knows cause it's one of a kind. Might as well go with that until proven otherwise.
It could be, and in the end doesn't matter anyway, because it is a cool shape regardless. I am just curious, as I enjoy the history behind each and every pipe. I PM'd Ken directly now that I've seen he made it over here, we'll see what he has to say. In the meantime don't worry, I'll quite bumping the thread ;)

Reactions: anotherbob

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Hello alaskanpiper. That is a lovely looking Charatan. This piece is a 'freehand' i.e. not a catalogued shape - hence the Handmade (hand-turned) stamp and no shape number. The Distinction quality was for mostly freehand Charatan pipes with nice straight grain with one or two sandspots or very small flaws in or on the bowl or shank. Yes, this pipe will show its true orange two-tone finish when cleaned up a little. The background stain of this pipe is actually dark green and I think the top coat is 'English Tan' which, when burnt into the briar correctly and properly colour-blended gives a lovely orange finish. The DC mouthpiece, which looks original, was first used from late 1964 - early 1965. The stamp De Luxe used to 'up-grade' a certain quality (in this case a Distinction) was not used after 1967 as far as I am aware. I think that the De Luxe Distinction here is indicating a gorgeous example of a Distinction i.e. a notch up from the Distinction quality, usually due to the fine grain. I would date this piece to 1965 to 1966. I do know that Joan Nicholson created this shape after it was turned as this is her style of work - lovely grained piece and well preserved for a pipe made 53 + years ago. I am always learning and if anyone else has any thoughts I would love to learn more.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Ken! Thank you so much for the reply! I had a feeling this might be a freehand shape, but wanted to confirm. Awesome that you can date it to such a specific part of that time period as well. This is exactly the info I was hoping for! Your wealth of knowledge and experience is such an amazing resource for the forum. Thanks again for contributing!

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
It's a pleasure. It is not that I am so knowledgeable around Charatan Pipes, if I don't know I simply 'phone Barry Jones!

Status
Not open for further replies.