Anyone Have Any Problems With The Microsoft IT Outage?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2018
England
I went to the supermarket this morning at about 7am to by some ciggies. Tap my phone to pay and..... declined. Did it again and got the same result. Took my card out of my wallet and tapped it.... still nothing. Had to put my card in the reader and entered my pin, luckily that worked.

Made me realise, though. A cashless society is all well and good, as long as the bastard system works. I only had £20 in my wallet which was nowhere near enough for 5 packs of cigarettes. Came to £80+. I immediately went to a cash machine and withdrew some money to keep in my wallet just in case. Lesson learned

Reactions: Zero

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I use cash for pretty much most things under £100 if I'm shopping in the real rather than the virtual.

The weird shit that's come out of Austin, Texas the last few days is remarkable. The put options on certain stocks, the busted update from the Democrats favorite IT Sec company. Things that make you go hmmm.

Ah, I did try to post about it here about 8:45 this morning, I had early warning. Every attempt failed with an error, I think 4 goes with progressively shorter thread titles until "Test" got blown out too. So I thought "you too".

Last edited:
Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
Mostly unscathed here. Email traffic was noticeably reduced at the office which was fine with me. Lots of goofy 'stuff' seems to originate in Austin.
It's caused a lot of disruption over here in England. Trains cancelled, lots of planes cancelled, doctor appointments cancelled and pharmacists unable to dispense drugs. Apparently, they're getting on top of the problem but it goes to show how much our society relies on this stuff.

Reactions: Bbailey324

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
It's caused a lot of disruption over here in England. Trains cancelled, lots of planes cancelled, doctor appointments cancelled and pharmacists unable to dispense drugs. Apparently, they're getting on top of the problem but it goes to show how much our society relies on this stuff.
And this is why technology sucks. Not too long ago this was not an issue because analog ruled. We are toooo dependent on this glitchy techno garbage.

ThomasS

Can't Leave
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
Wasn’t Microsoft’s fault for a change. A VERY popular firewall/anti-hacking package pushed out an update that cratered the computers it ran on.

Took a bunch of our customers out, and my wife’s company’s VPN. My company doesn’t use it, so I didn’t get a free day off 🤪

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg