Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Looks like the Dunhill Bark style one. Looks like it’s unused? I see lighters for sale on Mercari all the time, but I’m hesitant because I don’t know how well they work or if they can be repaired.

I didn't recognize the name in the forum list, but... I know that they were mostly jewelry store lighters. My dad taught me have to service them (all brands of these type lighters), back in the 80's. I usually pick them up when I see them in little junk shops, and I refurbish them and set them in my display case in my smoking room. But, using them seems to destroy them, ha ha. Everyday use that is, tumbling around in a pocket and such. So, they are mostly eye candy for me. YMMV

Reactions: bayareabriar

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I didn't recognize the name in the forum list,
Where is this forum list?

As far as using them I've always found the Marxman (made in Japan) to be a reasonable clone for the Dunhill Rollagas or the DuPont. I have a few & some don't seem to have much flame adjustment on the valve. Plus I don't know how you would service the valve O-ring should they need it. Any guidance you can offer on servicing one?

IMG_2199.jpgIMG_7336.JPGIMG_7337.JPG

• Love
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Oh, I just meant the list of strings in the forum, the main page. Is that not what their called? Me no talky forum good.

But, beautiful lighters!!!
Oh, ok. I thought maybe there was a sticky listing vintage brands worth having & servicing. I'm a vintage guy.

Seriously, if you have any comments on servicing the seals I would appreciate it. That seems to be the main difference I can see from the Dunhill.

Oh, ok. I thought maybe there was a sticky listing vintage brands worth having & servicing. I'm a vintage guy.

Seriously, if you have any comments on servicing the seals I would appreciate it. That seems to be the main difference I can see from the Dunhill.
I’m not even sure where to get parts for seals. I’m not set up for lighter repair, but I bet there are still bench jewelers “benchies” out there doing it. I will beat a drum on some of the forums.
the ones I pick up usually have a mechanical problem that I can fix without having to use parts, except for small screws and washers.
I never thought of it, but making a list of these guys could benefit you guys and them.
I have a wind up musical lighter that I restored. I’ll snap a pic and post when I get home.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I’m not even sure where to get parts for seals. I’m not set up for lighter repair, but I bet there are still bench jewelers “benchies” out there doing it. I will beat a drum on some of the forums.
the ones I pick up usually have a mechanical problem that I can fix without having to use parts, except for small screws and washers.
I never thought of it, but making a list of these guys could benefit you guys and them.
I have a wind up musical lighter that I restored. I’ll snap a pic and post when I get home.
I'm sure the O-rings in these clones are the same as what you get in a seal kit for a Dunhill or DuPont. I know how to remove the fuel valve in either of those, but not sure they are easily removable in a Rollagas clone. The fill valve is removable. I don't worry so much about screws & caps.

Another favorite is the Pipette from the 1970's by Firebird/Colibri. They can be serviced.

I don't buy any penclip lighters like the Parker/DART, etc. If you buy one you have to buy it cheap because if probably won't work, or will leak gas & you can't service it or get parts.