PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Emsien

Lurker
Aug 13, 2024
This is the second of 2 pipes that I got in a lot of estate pipes that I haven’t been able to identify. You guys already helped me identify the first one, hoping you can help with this one. I don’t see any markings on the pipe or stem. Not even sure it’s wood. It seems like I’ve seen this before but can’t remember for sure and can’t find anything online that resembles this. Anybody know anything about this pipe or: who made it, when it was made what it’s made of?
Any help would be appreciated
IMG_3618.jpegIMG_3620.jpegIMG_3621.jpegIMG_3626.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3615.jpeg
    IMG_3615.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 2

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
my best guess is a franken pipe. Reminds me of a good example of a homemade ceramic pipe. Not sure the material but don't think it's briar. I'd put that in the category of high end bubble pipe, if it came into my possession. Neat either way. And who knows might smoke like a charm or be like some oddball pipes where the trick to making money off it is finding the few oddballs that collect that style of pipe.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Maybe someone will know but to me it looks like a novelty pipe that might not have been meant for significant smoking. But it does have a removable stem so maybe it is a smoker's pipe; the chamber suggests someone used it as such.

Emsien

Lurker
Aug 13, 2024
Maybe someone will know but to me it looks like a novelty pipe that might not have been meant for significant smoking. But it does have a removable stem so maybe it is a smoker's pipe; the chamber suggests someone used it as such.
Yeah it’s definitely been smoked - no idea how much but definitely has - and it was with some nice pipes so just mystery
my best guess is a franken pipe. Reminds me of a good example of a homemade ceramic pipe. Not sure the material but don't think it's briar. I'd put that in the category of high end bubble pipe, if it came into my possession. Neat either way. And who knows might smoke like a charm or be like some oddball pipes where the trick to making money off it is finding the few oddballs that collect that style of pipe.
lol maybe I should list it as looking for an oddball lol - yeah it’s definitely been smoked and the reason I didn’t think it was wood is that if you look closely at the bowl you can see a seem down both sides of the bowl - almost like it was molded but don’t know what material that would make it - just a mystery

Reactions: AroEnglish

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeah it’s definitely been smoked - no idea how much but definitely has - and it was with some nice pipes so just mystery

lol maybe I should list it as looking for an oddball lol - yeah it’s definitely been smoked and the reason I didn’t think it was wood is that if you look closely at the bowl you can see a seem down both sides of the bowl - almost like it was molded but don’t know what material that would make it - just a mystery
lots of possible materials. But it's nifty if nothing else. reminds me of brylon (or something like that) which is a fake briar. Smokes hot but still fine for smoking and really works well from what I have heard with breath smoking.
Here is a question the yellow part does it have an interesting internals? Seems like a falcon knock off potentially.

Emsien

Lurker
Aug 13, 2024
lots of possible materials. But it's nifty if nothing else. reminds me of brylon (or something like that) which is a fake briar. Smokes hot but still fine for smoking and really works well from what I have heard with breath smoking.
Here is a question the yellow part does it have an interesting internals? Seems like a falcon knock off potentially.
Not sure what you mean by interesting internals but here is a look at the shank and bowl

Attachments

• IMG_4437.jpeg
    IMG_4437.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 0

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Bottom looks like Bakelite. Bowl holes look like some typical cheap screw bowls. It could well be a pressed wood product. There were similar pipes made with really thin walls that sold for a dime. It has kind of a space age or Buck Rogers look to it. I can’t decide on a dating guess. It’s an oddball for sure.

Reactions: anotherbob

Emsien

Lurker
Aug 13, 2024
Bottom looks like Bakelite. Bowl holes look like some typical cheap screw bowls. It could well be a pressed wood product. There were similar pipes made with really thin walls that sold for a dime. It has kind of a space age or Buck Rogers look to it. I can’t decide on a dating guess. It’s an oddball for sure.
Well I appreciate the help - o tried the Bakelite test - running hot water over it to see if there is a chemical smell but the smell of tobacco is so strong can’t tell if the chemical smell is there or not - and yes I agree looks like a futuristic design to me too

Reactions: anotherbob