PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

domd

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
I grabbed this off ebay just based on the shape I'd also like to refinsh it someday. Anybody hear of this company or model? Lady didn't know anything about it. I'm not sure its even briar. Not my picture just the sellers.
!CD119J!EWk~$%28KGrHqJ,!iIE0F9KtlRwBNP6!pFv5Q~~_3.JPG

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
got a old ERICKSON 72 that is shaped like that, smokes good but i not crazy with the feel in the hand.
IMAGE011.jpg

IMAGE014.jpg

IMAGE012.jpg

Edit: fixed photos, bubba

domd

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
chero that's a nice looking pipe!
So the mystery thickens! I found this online but, I think its talking about 40's and 50's pipes here.
Thanks for researching papipeguy!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So you are the one who out bid me on that one!! I should have paid more attention!!
I can tell you a little about D&P Pipeworks.You can get more info here-- http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/index.php?sid=b27327dc51fa201c9aafbc7e32460cee
D&P was located in Sparta,NC. the present home of IP&A-the folks who now make Dr. Grabow pipes. They started out there during the WW2 era(or maybe just before. They went there because of the Rhododendron and Mountain Laurel grows there and they used it to make pipes since briar was hard to get during the war. At some point they were bought out by HLT,who had also bought out Linkmans and moved DG production to Sparta.

Several pipe companies used alternative woods during WW2. Kaywoodie had their "Mission Briar" line made from Manzanita which is the American version of briar,HLT may have used both Rhododedron and Mountain Laurel. The guys over at the DGCF can tell you more.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
papipeguy,the Grabow shown in that ad may have been a copy of a D&P shape. I have one of those,it's a Grabow shape no. 64. All of the D&P pipes I have seen were square,blocky looking things. Never saw one with a rounded bowl although they may have made them.

domd

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for the info ejames! I was worried at some point I would out bid somebody on this forum that is my first pipe buy on ebay. Do you think its safe to smoke? Do you think its worth the 16.45 I paid for it or is it more of an collectors find?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
domd, yes it is well worth what you paid for it. It is a 60+ year old pipe from a defunct company in what looks to be very good condition. If I had it,it would get a good spit shine and then put on the shelf with my other dust collectors. But that doesn't mean you should not smoke it if you want. As long as it's taken care of it can be both a smoker and a collectable. And should you ever decide to part with it..........

Status
Not open for further replies.