Any tips for the new or fumbling pipe smoker?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

titanicexplorer

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2011
I've smoked my pipe off and on since 1998, and I made a few mistakes along the way- such as cramming too much tobbacco in my pipe and smoking it too hot.
If there was any remaining tobacco in the pipe when i was done with my smoke, I'd leave it in the pipe- and would finish it next time, topped off with new tobbaco. I told this to another pipe smoker and he winced-He said always start off with a fresh pipe of tobacco.
Any tips for new pipe smokers- or to people smoking it wrong, on getting more enjoyment out of the pipe?

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Well it doesn't sound like you're doing much at all wrong to me.

You're obviously learning from what you've done wrong (packing too tight) and you'll learn your way around that as you go. Always starting with a fresh bowl definitely isn't a law of pipe smoking in fact I don't think there are any. I imagine it's a fact that guys other than yourself have done that for years and still do with no ill effects at all.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Titanic,

I would recommend that you look to the left column of this page and scroll a good ways down to Bob' Articles. There are a number of very good articles about tobacco preparation, packing techniques and other various "need to knows" about smoking a pipe.

Bob is definitely a good resource.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Lawrence is absolutely correct. There are many styles of packing and lighting your pipe. I, for one, just grab and stuff. The "Frank Method" also has its fans but I won't spend 15 minutes loading a pipe. Go with what works for you and don't be afraid to experiment.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I use the frank method, it takes me less than 2 minutes to load my pipe, that may seem long, but I enjoy the process and want to drag out every aspect. People are too focused on doing things quickly IMHO.

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Yer pipe, yer happiness! DGT'ing w/some fresh t'baccy is good stuff!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think you'll learn what mechanics work best by trial and error, we all do.

As for getting more out of the entire experience...
Long term advice: Spend money on tobacco, not pipes.
Short term:
  • Column at left has several reputable tobacco e-tailers who sponsor

this site. Several offer sampler options. Out West Tobacco will sell

in 1 oz. quantities. Sample as many different blends as you can with

an eye to what type of leaf they contain, and make note of the

differences. You will gradually grow in discernment.
Tip: Luxury Tobacco Reviews.com has a menu of sorts on the home page, left hand column,

that groups tobacco blends by category (genre). Use it as a guide for sampling what's available.
N.B.: Whether you settle on Cherry Blend in a cob, or a sophisticated English

blend in a Charatan, keep in mind that any pipe smoker you meet is a kindred

spirit because you know where his pipe takes him. :) Class dismissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.