PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakjakshalak

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011
I purchased the following tobaccos as "community bags" for our upcoming pipe club meeting. I am admittedly a greenhorn when it comes to pipes but I've been drawn to them since childhood. I finally mustered the courage to walk into the B&M to take the plunge back in November. Needless to say, I'll be a lifer!
I chose a couple of these after reading past posts on here. Also wanted a good variety rather than derivations of the same thing. Thanks for your time!
1. Just For Him (Lane 1-Q)

2. Shortcut to Mushrooms

2. Dark Navy Flake (McClelland)

4. Butterscotch Love (a couple lady members amongst us)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi blakjak.

The Dark Navy Flake (2035): It is a tarry, rubbery flake that doesn't rub-out very well -- it just sort of crumbles into chunks. It is difficult to light, and difficult to keep burning (I always end up with sore cheek muscles :lol: ). It is pungent and lemon-sour with some sweetness, but it produces a fairly thin smoke: not the best "mouth-feel" if you know what I mean. Overall the taste is good, but not strong -- either in flavor or nicotine strength. I'd only give it 2 outta 5 stars. Buy a small sample and give it a go, YMMV.

blakjakshalak

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011
Actually Cortez, you scared me a little. It just didn't sound even a little enticing.
I replaced the Dark Navy Flake w/Old Toby. :)

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
Lots of talk about this Shortcut to Mushrooms. I think I gotta try this one!

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Shortcut to Mushrooms is one of my favorites....it's what I'd call a "soft" english but with plenty of taste and no bite.... :puffy:

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Should I just order 1# ? I've heard such good things regarding STM.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
Thanks Bob. I had looked to luxury reviews and didn't see it. I'd also read that this was heavy latakia blend....but your review says otherwise. A pound it will be.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
if you have your heart set on a flake, give mcbaren's navy flake a go. it is a nice smoke, rubs out easy for those who prefer that style and works equally as well in fold n stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.