Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Can’t comment much as I am a complete newbie compared with you iron butts here. Longest single stretch I did on my rebel 500 was about 120km, 2/3 of a full tank. Not at all confident so sat in the slow lane. Indeed, not much power to give past 100km/h. As for its weight, never felt it was unstable.
The wind and rattle sure became tiring after a while, so would agree it’s probably better suited as a city/backroad cruiser. But it’s a capable bike I feel.
Ride as you like, and as you feel safe. Problems happen when you stretch for something outside your comfort. I may put on 15-20,000 miles a year, but I lost my bike and nearly my life for it. As they say, its not if you crash, it's if you get back on. I will be shopping for a new bike, and living in Wisconsin allows me about 5 months to get it done without missing much.

You don't get to be a greybeard too easily. If you don't love riding, pick another hobby. Something safe like smoking...

As you probably guessed, I am not very popular and hear quite a few lectures at work.

-Doc

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Go ahead and laugh. I'm used to it. But I love my Vespa 250GTS anyway. Pretty sad I'll probably only get another month or two of riding around Chicago before the weather turns nasty. Pic is from 2020 in case you're wondering why there's a mask on the seat.

View attachment 253110
Nobody is laughing. Again, ride what you like. We all ride for the same reason: to save on psychiatry bills.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Ride as you like, and as you feel safe. Problems happen when you stretch for something outside your comfort. I may put on 15-20,000 miles a year, but I lost my bike and nearly my life for it. As they say, its not if you crash, it's if you get back on. I will be shopping for a new bike, and living in Wisconsin allows me about 5 months to get it done without missing much.

You don't get to be a greybeard too easily. If you don't love riding, pick another hobby. Something safe like smoking...

As you probably guessed, I am not very popular and hear quite a few lectures at work.

-Doc
Totally, one of the best things about riding is it's a total "my time". I haven't really had any negative comments just a few "but aren't you scared?", or "is that a mid-life crisis?", but most people don't say much at all. I don't bother them talking bikes either because it's not something they'll understand.
Good thing about growing old(er) is I'm running out of sh1ts to give, and people I need to account to or impress. My kids, my wife, my job, my extended family, few friends...these are already a lot! I tend to think of it as "Life's tolls", the more I pass the fewer sh1ts remain. I think once my kids turn 18 and go to university, work or whatever they choose to do will be the final toll.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Totally, one of the best things about riding is it's a total "my time". I haven't really had any negative comments just a few "but aren't you scared?", or "is that a mid-life crisis?", but most people don't say much at all. I don't bother them talking bikes either because it's not something they'll understand.
Good thing about growing old(er) is I'm running out of sh1ts to give, and people I need to account to or impress. My kids, my wife, my job, my extended family, few friends...these are already a lot! I tend to think of it as "Life's tolls", the more I pass the fewer sh1ts remain. I think once my kids turn 18 and go to university, work or whatever they choose to do will be the final toll.
People always ask me if I am going to get a sidecar to bring all my kids along thinking that they are funny and ingenious. I always tell them that is the last thing I want, I like the solitude with stimulation.

When they ask if I will be bringing my wife on a ride, I say that it is a motorcycle and not a boat, why bring the anchor! rotf

Yeah, I know... I am not funny either.

• Haha
Reactions: Buffalo and karam

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
People always ask me if I am going to get a sidecar to bring all my kids along thinking that they are funny and ingenious. I always tell them that is the last thing I want, I like the solitude with stimulation.

When they ask if I will be bringing my wife on a ride, I say that it is a motorcycle and not a boat, why bring the anchor! rotf

Yeah, I know... I am not funny either.
I've seriously looked for a side car and bike. Not so much so the wife or kids can ride, but so I can take my dog with me. She loves hanging out the side of my truck going down the highway, I would assume she would love the sidecar (after she gets used to the idea of course)! 20220507_155645.jpg

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I've seriously looked for a side car and bike. Not so much so the wife or kids can ride, but so I can take my dog with me. She loves hanging out the side of my truck going down the highway, I would assume she would love the sidecar (after she gets used to the idea of course)! View attachment 253679
They do sell sidecars for many brands and models, I have been tempted to ride into the winter without having to worry as much about ice.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Never got to ride but I drove over some. While on patrol as a PO I was dispatched to a complaint at a bar known as Punch out Palace. Several members of a MC gang were throwing cans at passing cars. The Harleys were parked in a neat row. They all cheered when I retreated, I accidentally shifted in reverse ( right) and backed over several. Never saw grown men cry. The best part was they did not report same to my boss.