PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
My initial reaction was oven.

In relation to tobacco, a device for stoving or storing plugs/ropes, perhaps? Just a reaction with nothing to back it up, mind you.

However, it could be an incubator or other non-tobacco related object that was just being stored in the factory and forgotten about.

Reactions: gawithhoggarth

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
My thought is it was used to determine the specific water content of the tobacco at certain times in the manufacture. Like a flavoring or ingredient needed to be added when a certain moisture content existed. You would want an oven, or dryer that you could have precise control over drying temp to figure out what the moisture content was precisely.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I came across this when clearing out an area of the factory. I am not sure where it has come from (possibly from Lowther Street factory but not sure). It appears to be some sort of little oven? Any ideas?

View attachment 132819
1648636774041.png
Nameplate on wooden cabinet incubator for cultures and samples. Exhibited in the National Health Laboratory in Yangon (Rangoon), Burma.

1648636866827.png

Its an incubator used to keep specimens warm in a laboratory. (And possibly coffee !! :) or to warm a piece of pie ! )