PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Morning friends,

I am enjoying a bowl of Storm Front along with some dark coffee this morning and it is really hitting the spot. Nice meaty smoke with some strength to get the day started.

As I was sitting here puffing away I got to wondering who else on the board enjoys John Patton blends? A few years ago I purchased 8 oz bulk of Storm Front, Dark Horse, and Moe's Confetti and really enjoy them. John Patton seems to fly under the radar some.

Any other fans out there?

Reactions: ofafeather

Mr. Fred

Lurker
Mar 9, 2021
Coming at this a bit late, but also with a request!

I have been an avid cigar smoker for about a decade now. I purchased a Nording Freehand (Numbered 5..) from a local cigar shop. It had been a part of a collector's box that had been sold to the store after his death, it had never been used. The guy at the store sold it to me for $45 bucks after I had told him I have never smoked a pipe.

I tried A LOT of blends. Went online and took a lot of suggestions. I didn't care for it , and stowed the pipe away.

Fast forward. I now have a 5 year old and do not have much time to smoke my beloved cigars, as I can not smoke in the house, and often my kid will need something right in the middle. My cigars run anywhere from 10 to 20 bucks each, so it is painful to throw one away early!

On a whim I googled blends for cigar lovers. Someone recommended Patton's Dark Horse. I ordered some and have been smoking my pipe daily for the last 3 weeks, only having 1 cigar!

I have ordered the Storm Front to check out.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me of other blends and tobaccos along the same lines that I might enjoy?

chefmike

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
Does anyone have any recommendations for me of other blends and tobaccos along the same lines that I might enjoy?
A pipe is conducive to the interruptions of child rearing. One can even set down a pipe and return to a smoke with a simple relight and no significant impact to flavor. You will need to explore what flavors appeal. There are pipe blends that use cigar leaf (use the tobacco finder at smokingpipes.com), but it may be strength that appeals. You might enjoy stouter blends (Peterson Irish flake) or the dark fired tobaccos (orlicks dark kentucky). But you also need to master technique (like cigars) to fully appreciate your pipe. It is a grand journey to be sure. I do not think you will be dissapointed! Try Cornell and Diehls 5 oclock shadow, briar fox (both crumble cakes, learn to prepare), explore some latakia blends (they may or may not appeal yet, but worth delving into). Ask questions. You are in the right place.

Status
Not open for further replies.