Any Advice On Removing Tooth Chatter From Acrylic Stems?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
Lots of info on removing chatter from Ebonite stems, but how about bite marks in acrylic by serious clinchers? I do have a single speed 3450 rpm buffing wheel. Sand first with 1000 grit? Use an abrasive compound? White Diamond on the buffing wheel pad? Thanks for any help.

Ps is there an adapter to slow down or adjust a single speed buffing wheel?

Reactions: seanv

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
After speaking to a few people, I had my wife pick me up a pack of nail salon quality emery boards. After removing the chatter with the nail files, I used my Dremel with some white Diamond polishing compound. It took less than 10 minutes. Here are the before, during and after photos. My Savinelli bulldog looks like new. I hope this helps someone else.

#1 chatter marks; #2 using a salon nail file emery board; #3 using white Diamond polishing compound with my Dremel.

(tap on photo to enlarge)

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpeg
    IMG_0078.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0086.jpeg
    IMG_0086.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0092.jpeg
    IMG_0092.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 20

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I have restored a lot of acrylic stems. I use 3m automotive products because I worked in automotive refinishing. Wet sand with P600 then P800 then P1200 wet or dry sandpaper. Use 3m compound 36060 perfect-it rubbing compound on a wool polishing pad attached to a drill or hand held buffer. Then follow by 3m 06094 then 06068 on separate foam polishing pads. Should get a deep rich gloss. 06068 is very good on black materials. There are other choices but the key is wet sanding with fine grit and compounding and polishing afterwards to a mirror finish.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Bingo. I also use 3M auto paper, up to 2000, then white diamond on the buffer.
Don't forget, polishing is removing visible scratches. Scratches reduce shine.
Polishing is making smaller and smaller scratches... That's why you should thoroughly remove any trace of the previous grit (no matter how applied) before using the next grit.

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I know my comment is apostasy to many, if not most, I say use a rubber bit. I recognize this does not eliminate the chatter, but does prevent it. Almost all my 39 pipes have acrylic stems and have they have no problem with tooth marks.

Reactions: AroEnglish

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Lots of info on removing chatter from Ebonite stems, but how about bite marks in acrylic by serious clinchers? I do have a single speed 3450 rpm buffing wheel. Sand first with 1000 grit? Use an abrasive compound? White Diamond on the buffing wheel pad? Thanks for any help.

Ps is there an adapter to slow down or adjust a single speed buffing wheel?
Easy fix. Stop the clenching!