PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
G'day everyone.

When a 100+yo German pipe shop closed, they must have had a heap of NOS that a German seller has been selling for some time now.

He sold on ebay then set up a website - www.markenpipes.com - I've bought way more pipes than what I need from when he was on ebay and several from his on-line shop.

Just recently he [with a partner IIRC] has started selling back on ebay. - 'ogcpipes'.

Due to very reasonable postage charges compared to the U.S., I've bought most of my pipes from Markus and another German ebay seller ['bruyerepipes'] and won some real bargains.

For whatever reason the German postal service will not post to Australia during the C19 saga, so they've shipped pipes to the U.S. and are posting from there.
This puts me out of the running - U.S. postage works out at nearly $30aud - $15aud from Germany. [In the past they posted up to 6-8 pipes for the same cost as one - I presume they're still doing the same]

Not that I need any more pipes but when I see examples going cheap it's hard to resist, lol.
Like the 60's Heibe Reading Billiard [Churchwarden] with a starting bid of $12.99usd [The auction finishes in 10 hours with 0 bids so far]

Every briar that I've bought from this seller has been as described. The ones that are in my rotation are all good smokers.

I've got no affiliation with this seller apart from being a very satisfied customer.
Anyone looking to build a rotation on a budget or those looking for a brand new briar up to 100yo [Many with horn stems], I highly recommend them.

Here's my last purchase before they moved stock to America.
1920's Willow stem $9.95.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ropp vintage stummels with new finish and stems are still available from SP at very moderate prices; not the same items, but similar sourcing.

Reactions: Casual

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Man they have beautiful pipes. Wish they shipped to the US!
Apologies, I must not have been clear; they are now posting items from the U.S.

The German postal service has placed restrictions for whatever reason, so they shipped their stock to America and are now operating from there for the time being.
USPS is business as usual.

So regardless of where you live, bid with confidence.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Thanks for the heads up, @chopper ! I just missed the churchwarden, slept in too late. Surprised it didn't go for more! I did win this neat lil 20's german shag pipe with a horn stem, though! Only $6! (Total came to $12 after tax and shipping.) Pretty sweet deal for a 100 year old pipe!
View attachment 29371
That's a bummer. [What did it sell for?] I've got several Heibe briars but had not seen a Heibe Churchwarden before. [Were they still posting from Germany I would have jumped on that one - keep your eye open on their auctions as they might have several examples]
Fortunately I did win five 1970's UTOR Churchwardens from them. The one in my rotation is a better smoker than my Savinelli Churchwarden.

The pipe you've won is a beauty and for $6? Wow. Enjoy.
Please give a review after you've fired her up.

Just a heads-up in case you're not aware; be careful with the horn stem if you're a clencher. Since it's a natural material, the grain sometimes has a weak spot that can crack under pressure.
The mouthpiece will probably be too narrow for a rubber bit so
I'd recommend a piece of surgical tubing.

Reactions: rushx9

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
For those who need a new briar or who are building a rotation, keep an eye out for any Venini pipes up for auction.

I've bought six 1980's Venini's. They've all got thick chamber walls, five of them take a pipe cleaner through to the draft hole and everyone of them is a good smoker.

Here's one example;

v1b.jpg

sjmckee

Lurker
May 15, 2016
So, I'm looking to post some pictures of a C.P.F pipe for help on research.
I was told its pretty old. EBay purchase... Point me in the right direction please!!!

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Chopper, I have been eyeing these too. But for some reason (probably the 70 other pipes i have) i just haven't jumped on them yer. I like that they are offering some old repair parts that are hard to find too.
I also completely identify with your experience of "This is fantastic, what a bargain, I need to tell the other people on the forum, and then Why don't they care about or get excited about this the same way I am" Stick with it and they will come around.

Reactions: chopper

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
I think I finally found it.
I couldn't find a way to search for sellers on ebay, had to resort to googling searching.
I think I found it anyway.
Not entirely certain.
Maybe someone whom has found it could post a link for the rest of us :)

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I think I finally found it.
I couldn't find a way to search for sellers on ebay, had to resort to googling searching.
I think I found it anyway.
Not entirely certain.
Maybe someone whom has found it could post a link for the rest of us :)
That's another German ebay shop that I've won a heap of pipes, racks, pipe tools and lighters. He's also good to deal with and gets a recommendation from me.

For quite a while he had a regular auction every week or so, with many lightly used professionally cleaned estate briars up for sale but he's been a bit quiet on the auctions as late.

The guy I mentioned with current auctions is called 'ogcpipes' - he has an on-line shop where you can make inquiries; www.markenpipes.com

Reactions: DavidT

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Chopper, I have been eyeing these too. But for some reason (probably the 70 other pipes i have) i just haven't jumped on them yer. I like that they are offering some old repair parts that are hard to find too.
I also completely identify with your experience of "This is fantastic, what a bargain, I need to tell the other people on the forum, and then Why don't they care about or get excited about this the same way I am" Stick with it and they will come around.
There can't be many opportunities to be able to buy NOS antique briars, especially not at bargain prices.
So I figured that it was worth sharing for those who are interested in owning a 'new' 100yo briar with a horn stem from a reputable dealer.

Not only that but when I first started building a rotation of pipes I had a couple of false starts, wasting my money on crappy estates.

The search function on ebay was a real hit and miss affair. It was by chance that I stumbled across the two German ebay shops that were professional and honest.
For that reason alone I'm happy to share with those looking to build a rotation of pipes but don't know where to start.

Postage from Germany is half that as from the U.S., plus if they saw you bidding on other pipes they'd hold back a receipt until the auctions were finished or until I had a full order of 6-8 pipes and only be charged the one postal charge. [A nice change from some; the lady selling the Chinese Road Town briars for example, charges $5usd extra for each additional pipe - how's that for a scam?]

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
That's another German ebay shop that I've won a heap of pipes, racks, pipe tools and lighters. He's also good to deal with and gets a recommendation from me.

For quite a while he had a regular auction every week or so, with many lightly used professionally cleaned estate briars up for sale but he's been a bit quiet on the auctions as late.

The guy I mentioned with current auctions is called 'ogcpipes' - he has an on-line shop where you can make inquiries; www.markenpipes.com
Just ordered the Coffee House Pipe from the 1900's. Can't wait to get it. It's clay, so I hope it survives shipping.
I'm going to be really sad if a 120 year old pipe gets broken while being shipped to it's forever home.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Just ordered the Coffee House Pipe from the 1900's. Can't wait to get it. It's clay, so I hope it survives shipping.
I'm going to be really sad if a 120 year old pipe gets broken while being shipped to it's forever home.

Nice choice.

He sells a lot of clay pipes - I've bought a dozen that guests smoke.
They pack the clays very carefully so I wouldn't worry.

Just a word of caution; clay pipes get very hot so be careful not to get caught out and drop it. If the stem on yours is a nice tight fit to the stummel you'll be able to hold it by the stem.

Reactions: DavidT

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Nice choice.

He sells a lot of clay pipes - I've bought a dozen that guests smoke.
They pack the clays very carefully so I wouldn't worry.

Just a word of caution; clay pipes get very hot so be careful not to get caught out and drop it. If the stem on yours is a nice tight fit to the stummel you'll be able to hold it by the stem.
They have a good selection of clay pipes!

Reactions: DavidT and chopper

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
My pipe finally arrived yesterday. Yay! Took forever to make it's way from half way round the planet.

Just took it out for it's first smoke,Here's a few pictures.

Attachments

• 20200613_104939.jpg
    20200613_104939.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200613_104945.jpg
    20200613_104945.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200613_104956.jpg
    20200613_104956.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200613_105004.jpg
    20200613_105004.jpg