Antique Meerschaum Depicting an Explorer Type: Who Might this Depict?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I was thinking that the helmet looks more military than explorer and that colonist or soldier or political terms of some kind might yield better google results. And really, how many explorers were there in Africa or India in the 19th century? I figure there wasn't much left to explore. Way more cowboys than Lewis and Clarkes.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
There were still plenty of what were termed "white hunters," safari types, some of them early conservationists. And many of the people mentioned, including Livingstone and de Brazza, were well-known in the late 1800s. I suppose "explorer" is the wrong term, perhaps "adventurer" is better?

Reactions: rajangan

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Update: yes, he's as I'd hoped. His beard does indeed go below his chin, and the circles on the sides are most definitely earrings.

anantaandroscoggin

Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Don't know particularly why, but reading through this thread and the talk about the different types of people who are pictured in the form of meerschaum pipes, I suddenly found myself wondering if anybody has ever heard of, or seen a picture of, a meerschaum pipe carved to represent Popeye the Sailor?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Don't know particularly why, but reading through this thread and the talk about the different types of people who are pictured in the form of meerschaum pipes, I suddenly found myself wondering if anybody has ever heard of, or seen a picture of, a meerschaum pipe carved to represent Popeye the Sailor?
Yes, I have.
Edit: Here’s one that sold on SP. I’ve seen better carved ones.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I've seen a few (modern, of course) renditions of Popeye. Only one or two were any good.
I saw one that was excellent a while back, but now I can’t remember who the carver was. I’m wanting to say either Kenan or Yanik, but it’s just been too long ago now, and I can’t find pictures of it anymore.
But yeah, most of them suck. Kind of like the nudes and the skulls, there are more turds than diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies.