PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
That's really cool find. I wonder if the ship scene is a part of Masonic imagery, or at least was at the time with whatever particular rite the lodge is affiliated with.

Pipes seem to be pretty popular with masons, or maybe Freemasnry is popular with pipe smokers. There's also a Masonic cigar brand, Hiram & Solomon, they're pretty good.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Anyone visiting Philadelphia really should take the guided group tour of the Grand Lodge. It's located adjacent to City Hall. The Egyptian Room will blow you away. The tour costs only a few dollars and is considered by many to be one of the top tourist attractions in the city for a Travelling Man to enjoy. - Sherm Natman
Thanks, if I'm ever in Philly I'll check it out. I've been to the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum in San Jose, California, that place is pretty cool

Reactions: shermnatman

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
The biggest Masonic secret.... The positive effects of storing yourself in a humidor.
Actually, there is a little tiny Tyler on-guard and living inside that antique Humidor, who absolutely won't open the lid from inside the Humidor unless you give the word, the sign, and the knock; but sadly, the word was lost to the mists of time long ago. ;)

So, that humidor is really only good for a Beauty Queen to adorn your shelf with. If you ever do happen to find the lost word and get the Humidor to open, the tabak inside will be aged over 100 years... So, you better hope it's Virginia in there and NOT Burley :LOL: - Sherm Natman

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's certainly a period piece. Unless you are a Mason, you might have to fend off secret handshakes if a guest saw it in your home. I had a colleague who had a class ring that apparently resembled a Masonic ring; he was forever having to explain this to Masons in airports and conference centers who would approach him with secret handshakes and signs.

Despite that, he was determined to wear his class ring. He was a Hawaiin man, an Army infantry officer vet. He was deep in the oral tradition, and over a few years he had told me his expansive memoir, which was pretty fascinating. When I repeated some of the details to people who'd worked in Hawaii, they thought I was a native.

I had lived briefly in the Hawaiian chain, but not the traditionally Polynesian inhabited part, but on Midway Island, as far from Honolulu as Omaha from New York City.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Actually, there is a little tiny Tyler on-guard and living inside that antique Humidor, who absolutely won't open the lid from inside the Humidor unless you give the word, the sign, and the knock; but sadly, the word was lost to the mists of time long ago. ;)

So, that humidor is really only good for a Beauty Queen to adorn your shelf with. If you ever do happen to find the lost word and get the Humidor to open, the tabak inside will be aged over 100 years... So, you better hope it's Virginia in there and NOT Burley :LOL: - Sherm Natman
it's "chocolate chip cookie". Even if it's not the tiny guy will open up.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
Anyone visiting Philadelphia really should take the guided group tour of the Grand Lodge. It's located adjacent to City Hall. The Egyptian Room will blow you away. The tour costs only a few dollars and is considered by many to be one of the top tourist attractions in the city for a Travelling Man to enjoy. - Sherm Natman
I think tours are free right now, as part of the 150th anniversary celebration.

Reactions: shermnatman

briarfriar

Can't Leave
That's really cool find. I wonder if the ship scene is a part of Masonic imagery, or at least was at the time with whatever particular rite the lodge is affiliated with.

Pipes seem to be pretty popular with masons, or maybe Freemasnry is popular with pipe smokers. There's also a Masonic cigar brand, Hiram & Solomon, they're pretty good.
It may have something to do with St. Paul being shipwrecked on Malta, per the Book of Acts.