PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I must have been 14 or so. I was in a local grocery store. This old gent drop some coins around cashier, and was getting angry by a minute that the cashier wasn't picking them up to count them. The cashier was saying it's fine, he paid and he can go. But the gent wanted to make sure he paid exact amount.

Well, today I was at a local supermarket. On the way out, I tripped. Bag I was holding ripped and my wine dropped and cracked all over the place. I got upset. When I was younger, I would have thought shit happens and walked out. But for some reason I wanted to pick a fight or something. I asked the security guy where I can get a refund. He told me "at the customer service". Went there and this young lady said no refund on alcohols. Oh goodie! I was in the mood. I said "why not?" She had no answer, and called a manager. I explained the issue and asked for the refund. He said no. So I brought up the flimsy shopping bag with ripped bottom. His tone changed very quickly. He refunded everything I bought, and gave a new bottle of wine.

Felt kind of okay walking out. Then felt I was cheated out of making a big scene.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
"Codger Mania: Thin Bags Edition"

They don't train the people to use 2 bags...

I am vigilant about this when having my groceries bagged.

And no I ain't bagging my own or checking myself out. Period. I'll just go somewhere else.
Wait you get bags where you live? For free? Sounds like utopia. I got to pay for stupid reusable bags. Plastic bags are the most functional for bagging up cat turds and now I’m always at a deficit.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Wait you get bags where you live? For free? Sounds like utopia. I got to pay for stupid reusable bags. Plastic bags are the most functional for bagging up cat turds and now I’m always at a deficit.
CVS stopped bagging my med. They should have special titanium boxes just for the tome they call receipt.

Reactions: Kobold

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I must have been 14 or so. I was in a local grocery store. This old gent drop some coins around cashier, and was getting angry by a minute that the cashier wasn't picking them up to count them. The cashier was saying it's fine, he paid and he can go. But the gent wanted to make sure he paid exact amount.

Well, today I was at a local supermarket. On the way out, I tripped. Bag I was holding ripped and my wine dropped and cracked all over the place. I got upset. When I was younger, I would have thought shit happens and walked out. But for some reason I wanted to pick a fight or something. I asked the security guy where I can get a refund. He told me "at the customer service". Went there and this young lady said no refund on alcohols. Oh goodie! I was in the mood. I said "why not?" She had no answer, and called a manager. I explained the issue and asked for the refund. He said no. So I brought up the flimsy shopping bag with ripped bottom. His tone changed very quickly. He refunded everything I bought, and gave a new bottle of wine.

Felt kind of okay walking out. Then felt I was cheated out of making a big scene.
I must be getting younger then. I go for the smooth and gentle type of that's fine I can always go to another store that wants my business route.

Reactions: bullet08

ClinchKnot

Lurker
Jul 3, 2023
Virginia
We’ve been using the same laminated grocery totes for ~10 years. They have long handles and can carry pretty much anything without breaking.

I do sympathize with the Falling Down, Codger Syndrome - Stage II, though. Do try taking it easy on the kids. They have no idea how much crap the average old dude has put up with to get to this point in life. It will just have to be a nice surprise for them when they arrive at this age.

Reactions: romaso and bullet08