PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
Where is the difference in the Savinelli and the Rossi? Is the briar a lower grade? Is the stem material of less expensive material?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Where is the difference in the Savinelli and the Rossi? Is the briar a lower grade? Is the stem material of less expensive material?
The couple Rossi's I have, are covered in pits and fills. The briar is still high quality, and the stems are still nice, they just look funky. Hence the thick lacquer they put of them to hide flaws. Still great smokers though. Good work pipes.

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
The couple Rossi's I have, are covered in pits and fills. The briar is still high quality, and the stems are still nice, they just look funky. Hence the thick lacquer they put of them to hide flaws. Still great smokers though. Good work pipes.
Makes sense ...

Reactions: didimauw

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA

Savinelli owns Rossi. I suppose you can consider them “Sav Seconds” —if you add an “8” to any Sav model number, you will find it’s Rossi counterpart. For example: a Sav 811 is a Rossi 8811. Same great smoking pipe, just a third of the cost

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have to admit, good working pipes, yes sure they are, but what put me of them was relatively heavy weight comparing to French made ones or even to Savinelli.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have to admit, good working pipes, yes sure they are, but what put me of them was relatively heavy weight comparing to French made ones or even to Savinelli.
The lacquer I stripped off of mine was very thick. I wonder how much that plays a part in weight.

I'll be ordering an oom Paul sav, that I bought the Rossi version first. Had to try out the shape before spending big bucks lol. I can compare the weights when the new one is ordered.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Savinelli now owns Rossi, but, Rossi was a separate company for almost 100 years (it went out of business in the mid ’80s, just shy of its centennial)—although pipe selling competitors, Achille Savinelli and Ferdinando Rossi were good friends—Savinelli kept the Rossi brand alive. These days, the Rossi pipes are lower priced versions of Savinelli models, but, that wasn’t always the case.

Reactions: garageboy

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
Savinelli owns Rossi. I suppose you can consider them “Sav Seconds” —if you add an “8” to any Sav model number, you will find it’s Rossi counterpart. For example: a Sav 811 is a Rossi 8811. Same great smoking pipe, just a third of the cost
Thanks ... that I already know from all y'all ...

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
Savinelli now owns Rossi, but, Rossi was a separate company for almost 100 years (it went out of business in the mid ’80s, just shy of its centennial)—although pipe selling competitors, Achille Savinelli and Ferdinando Rossi were good friends—Savinelli kept the Rossi brand alive. These days, the Rossi pipes are lower priced versions of Savinelli models, but, that wasn’t always the case.
Thanks ...