PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Grain is to my taste nice even if the previous bent i carved was of better quality.Today i finished this one and i started with a new projet.What i whould obtain is a new hand cut type of stem.I think to make partially the stem as first then make the pipe and at finally make the transition between stem and shank.Just for fun but also because a serious stem is the usual conclusion of carving a pipe.Well want to change for a time :)

Maurizio
dsc2838l.jpg

dsc2840j.jpg

dsc2841x.jpg

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
J is for JANUA the name i use to mark my pipes at the same time is in loving memory of Jimi Hendrix,Bt the way JANUA id the latin name of my town,Genova

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
If i had a much more fluent english i would like to explain with pictures and notes how i carve my pipes,the tools that i made of myself etc etc.A little help for friend and beginners here.That's a big work for me ,but why not ....we will see

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
That is one gorgeous pipe. I love the grain on it, and it does look like it would fit nicely in my hand. I know if it was for sale, and I had the money, I'd love to own it!

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
"Your English is fine. Much better than my Italian",it depends my friend ,if you are not familiar with my language ,probably yes :) .I studied english for 8 years but that happened about 40 years ago and i mostly forgot.I have a degree in modern literature especially north american literature.But i read american novelists in italian :cry:

Where i found the briar. Well that's a good question, in many different places.Calabria,Tuscany,Sadinia,Liguria.Where i buy briar ,sellers have only ebauchons not pre-drilled and i prefer if possible choice any ebauchon personally

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
"If you answered this before, my apologies - but just curious as to how long it takes you to carve one of these beauties."
Difficult to rember.Each pipe takes his time.But generally from 20 to 30 hours.Rusticated between 15-20.For the rest it depends on shapes.Some i carved needed really 30 hours.So long time is due of the complete hand work,no lathe at all.Only drills are made with a vertical drill.A pre-shape made with lathe shorts times but the final effect isn't the same.Maybe someone prefer a perfect machined pipe but that's another story.Free or fantasy shapes can only be made by hand

Maurizio

Status
Not open for further replies.