PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Just smoked my 1st bowl of H&H Anniversary Kake and was not overly impressed. I found it to have very little flavor at all. It did burn very nice with zero relights in my Country Gentleman but I really was expecting more I guess. The one thing I did notice was a slight "numbness" in my mouth from about halfway thru the bowl. Anyone else have this?

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
roth, I am gonna give it a few more bowls and see if my tastes will change. I do believe this is my first perique blend. It was a little saddening because I had been hearing good reviews but I wanted to get my open tins in my smoking rotation down before I opened up a new tin so it had been cellaring for nearly 2 months until I opened it tonight. :(

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
my AK was nowhere near Kake form and was not moist at all. One light and burnt down to a fine ash. It was completely bkoen up and ready to fill the pipe when I opened the tin, isn't this normal? This is my first ever tin of AK.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
I got some in bulk, and liked it some, but I liked Marble Kake much better. I was able to get a few perfect smokes with the Marble Kake. I've not given up on Anni though. When I got it, it was in crumble kake form, so if it was already broken up, then maybe something was wrong?

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
AK! FTW! If you got a tin that was dry, I agree with Roth. Send an email and it should be replaced. When you dump a bunch on a plate it should be all chunky and moist with all kinds of colors and a fantastic aroma. Both tin (rolled) and bulk is moist and needs to dry a good while. The way I “make” mine is dump out about 8+ bowls on a plate, even it out and let it sit overnight. Then the next morning I put it in a used tin. To me this lets the little moisture in the larger pieces even out through the flake (cure). This way I always have some ready to go, nice chunks and kindling for the top.
As for flavor this one is fantastic in the Vaper arena. Like Roth and others we expect great things to happen in this blend as it ages. I’ve built up to 5 pounds (besides what I smoke everyday) and plan to at least triple that by years end in the cellar. The Perique can be a big issue if you’re not used to it, and this is a strong complex Perique. That’s one of the things we think will change most in the years to come. Try to keep the flakes together, don’t break them up. Part of what makes this great is the changing flavors in each flake as you move down the bowl.
Get yourself a new tin and try that, if you like Perique it’s a winner.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I'm smoking this right now! If you don't like AK it ages wonderfully. Mine has a bit over a year on it. The others have given some great tips on how to get the most out of it. Is this your first vaper?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
If you have a difficulty with any of the Hearth & Home tobaccos, please email me at russo@pipesandcigars.com or call me directly at 610-297-9051 x254 so we can take care of the problem. It sounds like your tin may have been poorly sealed or handled roughly. Either way, we want to make it right.
Russ

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I like this stuff. And I've never enjoyed VAper's, period. I like straight red VA's, or a VA blend. Someone on here sent me a sample last year, and I had about six good smokes out of it. It's on my list to order a bag. Give it another chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.