PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andypopz

Lurker
Aug 15, 2015
Howdy!
Seeing as I'm new to the forum I figured I would make a post to start participating. This is a Bois D'arc pipe I made the other day out of a piece of wood me and my dad decided was not straight enough for a longbow when I was a kid. The center of the wood was big enough that I thought I could make a bowl out of it, so I did! The stem is just an Oak dowel with a hole in it. I shaped outside of the bowl with a combination of using the oscillating spindle sander and my hands. The bowl Was made with a large drill bit, and bored further with a Dremel. I made a simple chamber under the bowl with a 10mm drill bit, then a 3/8 bit for the draw hole connecting the two. I finished the outside of the pipe with coconut oil, and treated the bowl with and activated charcoal paste made with water. It's a tad warm to the ouch after an hour or so of smoking but it hasn't cracked yet. I'm possibly going to find a good Churchwarden stem for it...My tools needs sharpening...LOL.
My main reason for making aside from my newbly-woobly interest in Pipe Smoking, was to replace the crappy 3 dollar corncob I bought from the tobacco shop. Anyways, greetings from Texas, I'm glad to be here. I'm currently smoking Captain Black out of the thing and it's wonderful.
UHDO5Zr

:puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums! :clap: I'm glad the hobby sparked some enthusiasm for making your own pipe.
Check out http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/instructions-for-posting-pictures

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. Making your own pipe out of a piece of wood meant for a longbow is a famous entry to this tobacco pipe interest. Looks good!

andypopz

Lurker
Aug 15, 2015
Thanks Y'all, and thanks bonehed for the pic...Forgot BBcode can be weird about links. Glad to be here! 8)

andypopz

Lurker
Aug 15, 2015
Thanks Y'all, and thanks bonehed for the pic...Forgot BBcode can be weird about links. Glad to be here! 8)

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Nice! That's a cool little pipe. Well done. Welcome to the forum and happy piping to you. :puffy:

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Welcome.

We have fence posts here in Oklahoma that were put in just after statehood made of Osage Orange/ Bois deArc, that are still functioning. The wood just does not rot. They should be handing that one down in your family forever. :)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Welcome to the forum !! Cool looking pipe ! Osage Orange is hard to find around here and most of it sold online comes from South America it seems. The color and grain remind me of Mulberry.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Ejames, they planted tons of them in the windbreaks around Oklahoma during the dust bowl. You can still drive by them growing up in the fences and right of ways the state does not brush hog. You can spot them easily in the fall because of the big green croquet ball sized fruit that they produce. The area west of Ponca City (my home town)

is actually called Bois deArc, it used to have a running row of them for miles along old 66 through there.

Status
Not open for further replies.