PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
A couple of years ago, I bought a Comoy Christmas Pipe, 1982, as an unsmoked estate. It quickly became a Virginia pipe and a favorite.
Then, about a month ago, I dropped it on a concrete floor, and the tenon snapped. You can imagine how I felt.
Today the stars finally aligned, and I hopped in my car and drove the hour up to Flint. Dan Spaniola, son of the shop founder Paul, looked at it, said something like “I can fix that. Got a few minutes?”
Fifteen minutes later, it was repaired. Cost – about $20.
Incidentally, if you have never been to Paul's, you owe it to yourself to go. This place is Old School. Cards of Dr Grabows and Medicos are along one wall. Want a can of Sail Red, long discontinued? There's one sitting up there. Want some Theodorus Niemeyer Clan? There's a can of that, too. They've also got I don't know how many of their own blends, blended right there, and their Cayuga pipes are darned good ones – made right there. It ain't fancy...the “smoking lounge” is a few straight chairs along the wall.

Only thing wrong with Paul's is that it's not closer.

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
Awesome place! I’ve been up there a couple times this past month to have a few estates cleaned up and fixed. Dan does an excellent job, for minimal cost. I also grabbed a colored Grand Duke and an old Falcon last time I was there off the wall (both unsmoked). Their houseblend English mixtures are not bad, either.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
If anyone wants to produce we could make a show where we travel the country and visit brick and mortars of note. The only thing stopping me is I don't have the money to do it. But seriously it wouldn't be huge but many of us here would watch it. Also I am funny enough to get some none smokers watching too.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Awesome place! I’ve been up there a couple times this past month to have a few estates cleaned up and fixed. Dan does an excellent job, for minimal cost. I also grabbed a colored Grand Duke and an old Falcon last time I was there off the wall (both unsmoked). Their houseblend English mixtures are not bad, either.
This is the second time they have done a repair for me, on the spot.
I did smoke some Darwin Asa, a few years back. I've smoked a whole lot of Arrowhead.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I went to Paul's yesterday. It was like stepping back in time.

Paul's reminded me of my grandmother's home in Saginaw, where everything seems about 20 years behind the present.

I picked up a cayuga pipe and am looking forward to trying the arrowhead and morning smoke blends this weekend.

Several customers were there, but just to purchase lottery tickets. The pipe selection was huge, but I couldn't figure out the method to the organization madness.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Are Cayuga pipes viewable online? They sound interesting. Is the shop online at all?

Yup, just google it; they have a whole retail site online.

Last edited:

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Yeah, this store ought to be on the National Historical Registry list. As a side note if you break the tenon of a pipe it is not the end of the world. Any competent pipe repair guy can fix it.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
The funny thing is in some ways 20 years seems like the blink of an eye to me. I’m not sure what in my house would say it’s 2021 vs 2001. Maybe a few electronics? Or some old issues of National Geographic or Highlights?
My apologies, I should have said Paul's was reminiscent of when rotary phones were the norm. The website appears 20 years old.

Check out the website and you may get a better idea. No online sales, but they will sell over the phone.

If in the area, it's worth the trip.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Awesome!! I'm glad to hear a positive about a B&M.
I was talking to Skip at The Briary yesterday... yes, he let me get a word in edgewise every now and then, ha ha. But, he said that he would close at the 50 year mark, having opened in 1972. That's just one more year. Love them before they leave.
Paul's is celebrating its 93rd anniversary.

The history alone fascinating but I won't do it justice. Established by Paul at 15 years old, who also ran a bar. Paul was a 6-time world smoking champion (whatever that means) and passed away at 100 years old. Paul's son now runs the shop.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Are Cayuga pipes viewable online? They sound interesting. Is the shop online at all?

Yup, just google it; they have a whole retail site online.
Paul's cayuga pipes are oil cured and have a "miracle cake" treatment. Supposedly this helps with cleaning and a faster break-in time. The treatment apparently used to be more common.

The cayuga pipes come in various shapes and sizes. The website is paulspipeshop.com

Paul's sells cayuga pipes for as low as $35 and only a small selection appear on the website. They also blend numerous tobacco's for a reasonable price, Arrowhead being the house blend.

It was a lot to take in for a first visit, but I'll likely be back.

Bax Burley

Can't Leave
Jul 20, 2021
Pennsylvania
I ordered three pipes from them in July when they were having an annual sale. All were new old stock, 45 years old and up. I got them all within 2-3 days, beautiful pipes. Will definitely buy from them again.

Reactions: judcole
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Paul’s definitely has some serious ambience. I need to stop by and get a pound of Arrowhead soon
Arrowhead is the house blend, as those who have been to Paul's likely know.

I find it similar to Captain Black's Blue or Lane's 1-Q, with a slight vanilla flavor. I recently went back and bought more. The morning smoke and an anniversary blend are okay.

The cayuga pipe I purchased is lighter than expected. It smoked well from the first bowl, so the magic treatment seems to work. The lightness suprised me and it has an open draw.

I'll keep heading back when in the area. Hopefully, Dan (Paul's son) stays around for a while. With Flint's economy and the nature of the shop, I'd hate to see it pass away or fail in the wrong hands.