PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
So I've been a pipe smoker for around 11 years or so.
And two days ago my shipment of McClelland 5100 arrived. At ya'lls suggestion a few months ago (as my tastes have changed and then narrowed over time), I purchased 12 ounces of this stuff sight unseen.
On opening the bag, there is nothing remarkable about this. The cut is nothing special. It's a bit dry (though I like my baccy a bit dry). It smells slightly of the famed ketchup. And looks like everything ever.
But then I light, smoke, and HOLY FRIGGIN CRAP PEOPLE!!!! HOW COME NONE OF YOU TOLD ME ABOUT THIS YEARS AGO!!!!!
My only regret is only buying 12 ounces of this. Just sweet enough to suit my fancy. No tongue bite (and many tobaccos bite my tongue just at thinking of them). And just enough complexity to not make me bored.
Thank you pipesmagazine forums. And thank you McClelland. Wow. And wow. And wow. 11 years, and I finally find my desert island baccy....

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
IMO, 5100 is even better as a blender¹ -- and it ages wonderfully! If you're ecstatic now, I can't imagine how happy

you will be after cellaring a pound or two for a few years!
¹ May favorite is to add 5% McC's Perique, 5% McC's Turkish, and a minute pinch of deertongue. :puffy:

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Yep, it's a great all-day smoke. What I can't figure is that McClelland red Viriginias usually bite me. This one does not.

I ordered two pounds of this good stuff at my last TAD.

Thanks for the review!

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I find McClelland No. 5100 is best as a blender to tame down McClelland Bulk No. 5125 Coyote Classic, or to sweeten up the 5100 with McClelland Bulk No. 605 Pastry, or McClelland Avenue Blend TQ.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If I was to smoke a red VA, it would probably be McCranie's Red Ribbon and Flake. But to be truthful, when I smoked straight VAs, 5100 didn't get any airtime, so I dunno;).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had a great time with McClelland's 5100 I bought in bulk from my local independent shop. It's a pleasing smoke

by itself, and I've had a good time mixing it with a simple burley and a Cavendish, and sometimes a little Latakia and/or

Perique. I try to keep these mixes simple. More is not better when speaking of number of tobaccos you put together.

But 5100 is just a most pleasing red Virginia that improves any smoke if used with some reason. And, as someone suggested,

it's also refined and complex enough by itself.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
I am using it to break in my new pipe for Virginia tobaccos, and am enjoying it very much. As a newbie I took a leap of faith and got 4 ounces in bulk. Will definitely get much more the next time I order. Very flavorful and mild.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I found 5100 kind of boring on its own, it's real magic is in its blending potential. I have mixed it with aromatics, English, burleys, heck I even mixed it with frog Morton cellar lol it goes great with anything.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I got a sample of 5100 a while back and I've smoked it off and on. I think its a great smoke. Actually, now that I think about it I think I'm out of the stuff. I'm gonna have to order some more. I never thought about mixing/blending it with anything though. Sounds like that could be interesting.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I have a tin of 5100 I picked up from Pipestud recently that IIR is ten years old. I plan to crack it soon and give this blend a try.
- duckfat
And thanks for the business, duckfat. It was appreciated.
I asked Mike McNiel (McClelland's blender and co-owner of the company with his wife) about 5100 awhile back. I was very curious about that Virginia because it ages better than any Virginia I've ever smoked. It is processed in a manner that leaves a lot of the oils and sugars in the leaf. That combination causes rapid fermentation and melding of the flavors. 5100 when fresh, is very bright in color but it darkens rapidly. With five or more years of age to it, the leaf is mellow, naturally sweet and presents itself (to my taste buds anyway), as about the finest smoke you can get. Because the flavor is light, once 5100 has dried considerably, try mixing it with other favorites. It absorbs the flavors of whatever its mixed with without overpowering its new companion leaf. Truly a remarkable tobacco (IMO, of curse).
Pipestud

Status
Not open for further replies.