PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I’m glad that never ever ever ever happens with tobacco.

You're so grumpy and cynical...

Tobacco is a consumable product of which flavor is a major component, yes, but otherwise is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, OK?

The trends, fashions, price-point confirmation bias, peer pressure, and all that crap simply does not apply to tobacco. Never has, and never will.

So get your head straight you Negative Nancy :mad:

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
"Clan" is proof that the marketing can only take it so far. Nice wrapper, nice smell, good looking cut, and GOD DAMMIT it tastes like burning Owens Corning "Pink" (not the white John Manville fibreglass, which has kind of a vanilla note).

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
This reminds me of an old Penn and Teller bit where they served "gourmet sparkling" water to people, and most believed it was better than tap water even though it was, well, tap water from a garden hose.

Reactions: kcghost and JOHN72

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
You're so grumpy and cynical...

Tobacco is a consumable product of which flavor is a major component, yes, but otherwise is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, OK?

The trends, fashions, price-point confirmation bias, peer pressure, and all that crap simply does not apply to tobacco. Never has, and never will.

So get your head straight you Negative Nancy :mad:
HADDOS IN A DUNNY

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
A serving of the cheapest grocery store ramen noodles that people said was worth $50 because it was so special and good...
It's all about context. Simply give the Weimar-esque hyperinflation a chance to really gain some momentum, and that $50 price tag would look like a once-in-a-lifetime discount.

Of course, by then, who knows how many more toxic chemicals Monsanto will have added to the ramen supply...

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
I have found that when you have money in your pocket ramen noodles taste just fine... When you're eating them because you have to they are horrible.

When I first moved out of my parents house, I remeber a meal of mustard and egg noodles, barely got through that bowl... I did have a case of beer to wash 'em down with, at least.

As far as paying that much for bullshit food, that's a no from me dog. Rich people are a strange bunch, they invent things to waste money on.

Reactions: K.E. Powell
My stepson took us to a restaurant in downtown Birmingham, and I was told that it was a Ramen noodle place. I laughed and told him that it was really nice that he was willing to spend $1 on his mom, ha ha. I didn't understand what the big deal was with Ramen noodles. I had eaten them all through college. Weren't they like packets you could buy for a dime?

We meet him at the restaurant and the line was out the door. Luckily, he had made reservations, so we didn't have to get in line where they were told the wait was over an hour. I was baffled.

We get menus and the cheapest dish was $40. I was still confused. Ramen noodles, $40? So, out of curiosity, I ordered the a seafood ramen and octopus balls. I didn't even know that octopuses had balls.

They brought me a large bowl with noodles, that io was told were hand made noodles... looked just like the curly ones I knew in college. But, it had a squid, some shrimp, and some fried fish pieces on top of it. The octopus balls were like hush puppies.

The bill was $500+ which is normal when I take my hoard of kids out to eat, but i was still amazed that so many people were willing to pay so much for a bunch of cheap assed noodles. It was good, but not price-point good. I was glad that I wasn't paying for it, ha ha.

I probably won't ever go back to that place. I am not crazy about these niche style restaurants.

There's a place in Asheville, NC, where they serve you frozen TV dinners in a setting that is decorated to look like some grandma's house. The average plate costs like $100, which isn't terrible, but for what you get... nah.
There is also a place that only serve things that Elvis liked to eat... as much as I love Elvis's music, it just isn't my thing.

Kids are making more money than ever these days. They have way more expendable income that I ever had at their age. They can throw their money at these weird places to eat if they want. Not me.

Last edited:
Reactions: BingBong

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Cheap ramen fueled a lot of college degrees.

10 for $1 on sale. Every pack had all the sodium you needed for a couple of days.
If we were feeling flush we might chop up a hot dog and put it in the noodles.

One day I hit the wall halfway through a bowl and never had ramen again for 25 years.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore